• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Azure DNS Feedback

sjdean

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
We are an organisation that handled both development and technical clients. As such, we need to be able to handle domain names where we can set MX for O365, or A/CNAME records that point to third party infrastructure, as well as other SRV resource usage information for Skype/Teams etc.

Azure DNS looked like the perfect thing, however, it looks like all this does is merely sync the records on the web server to Azure DNS. Thankfully it only updates Azure DNS after the plugin has been enabled and records have been saved to the DNS Zone on Plesk.

Understandably, this is unsuitable for us, and also causes the other problem, as we host DNS records in Azure, when LetsEncrypt comes along to renew a wildcard certificate, it generates a new _acme-challenge token which can never be updated, unless you have Azure DNS and don't mind your DNS records overwritten.

So:

1. You need to make clear in your Azure DNS documentation that this is a ONE WAY sync only, from Plesk to Azure. It is not bidirectional.
  2. Need some updates to the Azure DNS plugin and I would suggest:
    1. Need to allow Azure DNS to be Primary DNS and for Azure DNS records to be sucked into Plesk.
    2. What would take a great amount of work but would be fabulous - bidirectional sync with advisement of conflicting changes - so it doesn't matter what you updated and where, it would automatically pick the right data to transfer.
Simon

Hi sjdean,

Thank you for your feedback.

1. Sorry to hear that documentation is confusing here. It is true, extensions provide a one-way synchronization, from Plesk to any 3rd-party DNS service (which could be connected via existing Plesk extension). I mean it is not a limitation of AzureDNS extension only, it is how integration works in Plesk.
I will ask our tech.doc department to add more details in extensions' descriptions to make this limitation more visible.

2. In the case of a bidirectional synchronization, it is really sound like a feature request and I would suggest creating a new request via UserVoice.

Back