• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk Ubuntu with Microsoft Azure - Geo replication

corend

New Pleskian
Dears,

This is my first post on this forum and I'm new on Plesk since a couple of weeks, so please do not judge me :) I hope this topic is on the right place, if not please do not hesitate to move it. And, as an end of this introduction, I will do my best with my English as this is not my mother tongue.

Since a couple of weeks, I was trying the Plesk server management panel on DigitalOcean in order to try it the more I can for a very lower price. Finally, after all those successful tests I discover myself loving working with Infrastructure in the cloud. Before that, a long time ago (once upon a time in my life :)) I was a developer and didn't really care about the infra part which was handled by infra engineers who did an excellent job. So, this is a bit new for me, of course I know some of the best practices but regarding the cloud infra this is completely new stuffs for me.

So, my first experience with DO and Plesk was really good and now I want to try to improve my knowledge by managing a more complex infrastructure: Geo replication (in sync and not async) is my next Cloud level. In order to do that, I choose Microsoft Azure due to his interface which is really clear, the pricing, and the rest I guess all clouds do more or less the same technical solutions.

What do I mean by Geo replication? I'm not sure this is the good wording as all cloud providers used their proper wording for this. So for me, this is about having 1 server in a geo zone (West-Europe) and at least another server in another geo zone (East-US). Both having data sync in real time. By doing that, I expect the Cloud will have to identify if my visitor is EU then the DNS server & load balancer will choose the server in EU zone as it is the one with low latency. And for US visitors he will choose automatically the US zone server.

Actually, I was about to create the Plesk machine in Azure but before to click on "create" many questions pop-up to me! Obviously as this is new to me :)

I googled a lot and still have some questions and I will provide you some of the activation steps:
- after choosing the image "Plesk Linux WordPress + Webhosting Platform" NOT the BYOL (Plesk Linux WordPress + Webhosting Platform) on the market place, I've to configure it. I choose the plan D2V2 which is really enough for testing purpose and more if needed.
- then I believe that next to that I will have to choose for the replication stuff, this is not by default right? Unfortunately I can only choose the region/zone which means in the same area. Like if you select 2 zone for a server in West-EU then it will be one replication (1+1) in the same zone which is still West-EU, this is finally just in case of failover. Am I right with my definition of MS Azure zone?
- So, if I am right how to configure this properly in order to have real Geo replication and load balancer/DNS?
- Finally, with this distribution image provided by Plesk ("Plesk Linux WordPress + Webhosting Platform") this will be with the default database created locally per website account, right? It will not create any Database node by default? That seems to be easy on Azure like for DO, so that easy to handle, but just to be sure.

Again, more context:
- the goal is to manage multiple websites on the same instance which has to be replicated in different continents (1 zone in EU and 1 zone in US) with a real time replication
- visitor has to be redirected to the low latency network path (US visitor -> US server, EU visitor -> EU server)
- the configuration made in Plesk regarding the websites must be sync on the two continents, is there a way to configure that easily after the "Plesk Linux WordPress + Webhosting Platform" VM created?

Wait, I stop here with my questions/context, I think you all understood what I would like to build with Plesk... or at least I hope you did :)

If you need more info from me, please do not hesitate,
Thanks for your help/coaching.

A new Plesk Indiana Jones guy :)

Back