• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Backing up issues causing disk partitions to be almost full due to incremental's

Will-NYESDigital

Regular Pleskian
Hi all,

Please see below the issue I am having:

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.28 Update #3, last updated on July 21, 2020 - CentOS Linux 7.8.2003 (Core)

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
The incremental backups are backing up files that do not require to be backed up as they are old and date back to 2017. This is causing our servers to max out due the the sheer quantity of excess data.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Look at incremental backups, all the images in site builder > attachments folder are being backed up daily with no relevance to date.

ACTUAL RESULT
The incremental backup system is backing up every image in the site builder attachments folder which is not the use and function of an incremental

EXPECTED RESULT
That only the changed data from a recent time are backing up.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Folder structure in customer incremental backup : sites\6f6e5621-6f81-ceaf-1d7c-fc0fa50a6904\site_content\attachments\

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image.png
    MicrosoftTeams-image.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 6
So you did not actually unpack the increment and did not verify what is really causing its size?

Hi Peter, I unpacked the increment and noticed that old content has been backed up which is odd as that is not the purpose of an increment, it is of large size because it is duplicating the data and should not be.

Plesk sometimes creates a full backup when an increment for some reason cannot be created, e.g. when Plesk cannot find the full backup file or when a timeout occurs during file management on an FTP repository. But I have not seen the case before where files are included in an increment that have not been modified. A modification could be anything, not only the timestamp. Did the permissions change for example? Did the file path change? Did the timestamp on the directory from which these files descend change? There is also your hint on "site builder". I am not sure whether files that belong to extensions are not always backed up in full, that would be a question for a more knowledgeable person or Plesk support.

Hi Peter,
The permissions have not been changed, the file path and not been changed either.
The incremental back up contains only every image file from Sitebuilder attachments folder (not pdf's, docs etc.) But it is every single image, for every customer every day. Obviously not every customer is changing every single picture every day haha.
I have contacted Plesk Support already and have a ticket open as well,just seeing if anyone has this issue thanks :)

Thanks for the help thus far.

Hi @Peter Debik I hope your well.

Please could you let me know if you have had time to look into this issue and if you have any progression. Some of our customers got impacted over the weekend so this has become rather urgent.

Thanks in advance.

I have no insight into Plesk support tickets. Please simply answer the ticket that you had previously created (according to your post), and someone from Plesk will get back to you.

Back