• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

backup before upgrade

R

reekoh

Hi There,

My server is currently at 7.1.6 and I'm considering upgrading to 7.5.1 but I've had serious meltdowns in the past with these supposedly "easy" upgrades. The last time I upgraded to 7.1.6, my DNS service just stopped working and so did a whole bunch of other little things.

A couple questions:

a) Is there any way that I can backup my server exactly as it is right now before I upgrade? Will the psadump utility do this for me? And if the upgrade does go badly, can I easily restore?

b) Have people generally had an easy time with this upgrade? Because I really cannot go through that hell again, that I had to go through last time.

Thanks,
reekoh

I'd go for 7.5.2, since it's already out. Even that is a bit early for Plesk - I'd still wait to see what bugs get reported.

As for backup, psadump is not equal to a full server backup (with tar or any similar means). It might be enough to be reasonably safe, though, depending on your config and modifications made to the OS.

I'd still search the forum for other backup advices and than chose a suitable solution that works for you.

Back