• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Backup creation via WordPress Toolkit: mysqldump: Got error: 2019: "Can't initialize character set utf8mb3 (path: compiled_in)" when trying to connect

RalfMeyer

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 11.11 x86_64
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.63.2
Hi everyone,

We have some customers who create backups using the WordPress Toolkit with the provided function of it.
Some of them (maybe all of them) get the following error:
"mysqldump: Got error: 2019: "Can't initialize character set utf8mb3 (path: compiled_in)" when trying to connect"

It should be noted that we use an external database server with MySQL 8.

This is occuring on multiple of our servers.

Is this a bug in the WP toolkit? The database can be exported without issue via the feature under "Databases" in Plesk, as well as via PHPMyAdmin, so this only seems to happen with the backup function of the WP toolkit itself.

Thanks for your help.

Most likely the database in question has tables with utf8mb3 character set, which is deprecated. As far as I am aware the same is still supported for MySQL 8. However, it seems to be causing a compatibility issue. I do believe the reason you are able to export the database through phpMyAdmin and "Export Dump" is caused by the fact they are using methods for database exporting other than the mysqldump script.

Hello @Sebahat.hadzhi,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, this may be the case, but if Plesk can do it with the integrated "export dump" function, I think the WP Toolkit should be able to do it as well? Thanks.

Back