• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Backup Manager Generated Files

Zoo3

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
I performed a backup to another FTP server. In this case I had to use "Multi-volume backup". When I completed the backup in the backup manager, two files were created on the FTP server. They are "backup_221205123.tar" and "backup_221205123.tar 1". When I unzip them, the unzip tool warns me that each is corrupted.

When I restore from a backup, do I just add all the files using the Web UI without unzipping these files?

Multivolume backup is a tar archive sliced into chunks of a certain size. It is to be expected that you cannot unpack one of the pieces of the whole archive. To unpack the whole backup, you must merge all the pieces into one archive first. But to be honest, I don't understand why you need to do this manually when it's much more convenient to restore this backup via the Plesk interface.

Multivolume backup is a tar archive sliced into chunks of a certain size. It is to be expected that you cannot unpack one of the pieces of the whole archive. To unpack the whole backup, you must merge all the pieces into one archive first. But to be honest, I don't understand why you need to do this manually when it's much more convenient to restore this backup via the Plesk interface.
Thank you. The reason is that I don't have enough storage space. And I don't want an infinite number of backups being generated in the same storage.

What is the process to merge the multivolume tar file back together?

I would like to be able to use the backup files that are ftps to a remote host. The multivolume option with a remote storage-only option is helpful for space reasons. Being able to review the back contents and extract specific files is helpful when trying to recover a configuration error or user's deleted directory.

Never tried it, because never had any reasonable need for it. But maybe a simple cat file1 file2 > file3 can do it?

Back