• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question backup restoration logic?

Dmytro

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
https://i.imgur.com/Q14I3D2.jpg
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.57 upd. 4
Hi.
I have subscription with website plesk.id , this website has 1 file index.html created 22 Dec 2023 at 13:35

Every night I do full backup, so I have backup created 15.01.2024 at 07:49

Today I added test.html on 15:29

and after that I ran restoration of subscription (restore all data) and I got this:

I see restored index.html and test.html still exist. Why? IMHO, if I restore backup of subscription and there was no test.html in this backup - I should not see test.html
How should I restore clean site from backup, for example, after malware detection if all newly created malware data will be on site after restoration

Thanks

This is the expected behavior. Existing files are overwritten, but not removed. If you want a clean restore, please remove the content of the directory or the directory itself before the restore.

Thank you for your fast response.
I understand it's expected behavior in the current Plesk meaning and not a "bug". But why?

I did not see this kind of behavior for restoration in any backup/restore tool.
It should be called as "extract from archive" and not a backup restoration in this case, don't you think?

What about DB restoration, email? I think DB is cleared before restored. Email restoration the same as file's restoration?

For me, as website administrator, it's not clear that I need delete something (files) and I don't need to delete something (db?) before backup restoration.

Databases: The must be restored in full due to the technology that is used.
Email: These are handled like files. Existing mails will be overwritten, mails that exist on the server but not in the backup set will not be deleted.

Back