• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Backup utility and "Failed to copy files" error about .ssh keys

Paul Larson

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian 18.0.54
I've noticed some, not all, of my Plesk servers throw an error in the Backup log, such as what I show below. I think it's harmless: essential files are backed up as expected. But the .ssh warning is troublesome because there will be days and days of them shown in the Plesk interface. Any ideas how to fix this?

Code:
Unable to back up extension. Error: Failed to exec backup_restore_helper: Exit code: 1: Failed to copy files storage to destination path. stderr: filemng: Cannot open destination file '/var/www/vhosts/example.com/.ssh/id_rsa.5PpS3i'
System error 13: Permission denied

stdout: filemng: Cannot open destination file '/var/www/vhosts/example.com/.ssh/id_rsa.5PpS3i'
System error 13: Permission denied

Same issue here. Plesk Obsidian v18.0.54_build1800230824.08 os_Debian 10.0. I think the problem started after migrating a domain to the server using the Plesk Migrator. I already tried "plesk repair fs -vhosts example.com" and "plesk repair fs -vhosts". Alle folder and file owner/group and attributes seem ok (the same as on other Plesk servers without this problem).

Same issue here. Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.57 Update #5, last updated on Dec 25, 2023 09:47 PM

These files seem to be generated during backup or something? Because when I check after I receive the error msg the files are gone and the last part changes with each Backup:
Cannot open destination file '/var/www/vhosts/myserver.de/.ssh/id_rsa.NLWOeL'
Cannot open destination file '/var/www/vhosts/myserver.de/.ssh/id_rsa.b2pl6z'

Content of the folder /var/www/vhosts/myserver.de/.ssh/ are 2 files: auth and authorized_keys

Thx 4 F1.
sh

Such SSH keys may be needed by the Cloud Backup Pro extension for certain backup types. They could also be required by other extensions.

Such SSH keys may be needed by the Cloud Backup Pro extension for certain backup types.
I don't use Cloud Backup Pro.
All of those backups use ftp(s) and have been set up some time ago, some even before the upgrade to Obsidian.

These warnings showed up for two of the four webspaces on the server after Plesk auto-updated to 18.0.57 on Dec 20 for all scheduled backups running since then.
(BTW, it would be nice if the plesk installer would state the exact version it updated to)
The first backup with warning was an incremental backup, so this has to be something that changed in plesk because the previous increments had no such warning.

The difference of the four webspaces is that the two that do backup without warning both have a private/public key pair in /var/www/vhosts/<domain>/.ssh, created at the first backup run after the update, with the directory itself owned by <subscriptionuser>:psacln, while the two with warnings only have authorized_keys in there, and the directory owned by root:root.

I'll try chowning those directories to <subscriptionuser>:psacln and see what happens.

Node.js Toolkit shows up under Extensions, no idea when it was (auto)installed. github doesn't.

NodeJS and Laravel were both autoinstalled in a recent update. I already saw that you voted on the request to not to do such things ... thank you for voting.

What is node.js and is it needed or can it be uninstalled without damaging present or future feature/functionality?

NodeJS is a popular server-side environment for developing NodeJS based applications. If you do not have any NodeJS projects on your server, the pure presence of the module that was installed by Plesk does not do anything. The required "Passenger" server remains inactive. You can remove the extension if you do not want to keep in on your system.

Thank you for the quick answer. NodeJS is not used an so I'll uninstall it to see if that solves the problem with the warnings during the backups.
I also use ftp backups which are running for a long time without hickups.
I'll post if it helps.

Back