• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Backups take space from subscriptions

AhmadAYA

New Pleskian
I have set a Schedule from Tools & Resources -> Backup Manager -> Schedule; to do a backup to the User files, databases, and emails, the problem is when the backup finished the disk usage is counted and calculated from subscriptions and Reseller quota, i.e. if subscription X has a plan with 500 MB disk space and he used 400MB of it, now he must have 100MB but when the scheduled backup finish the used disk space is now 800MB "even if he did not set up a scheduled backup" and the system suspend it for overusing, sadly this problem also happens when I try to do the backup manually.

Last edited:
Hello, I will raise that issue again.

OS
CloudLinux 7.9 (Boris Yegorov)
Product
Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.46 Update #2, last updated on Sept 27, 2022 03:18 AM

The problem is that backups created by administrator, were included in subscription disk space usage until this checkbox was unchecked. I believe this is a bug since we can include into used space backups created by user himself, but including admin backups is quite unfair.

Hello, I will raise that issue again.

[...]

The problem is that backups created by administrator, were included in subscription disk space usage until this checkbox was unchecked. I believe this is a bug since we can include into used space backups created by user himself, but including admin backups is quite unfair.
That's not a bug. Any domain backup is included in the disk space, no matter who (which user) initiated the backup. To me that makes sense.

Create a feature request if you like a additional feature to have backups created by a admin to be excluded for the disk space count. You can create feature requests here: Feature Suggestions: Top (2131 ideas) – Your Ideas for Plesk

If there was single checkbox "include backup files" - no problem, I agree it can work that way. But there is also a checkbox "include backup files created by administrator" and it was unchecked in our case. So while second checkbox doesn't work until first is unchecked, the second one just makes no sense and this is a bug.

You're right. I completely missed the "backup files created by the administrator" option. I would assume that if this option is unchecked a backup initiated by a admin would not count towards the disk space usage of a subscription. So for you backups created by a admin are actually included in the disk space, even tough the option "backup files created by the administrator" is unchecked?

Exactly, our customer's subscription was stopped today for disk overusage and we were greatly wondered after discovering that.

Just to be sure, did you uncheck the "backup files created by the administrator" option on the same day by any chance? Disk space has to be recalculated if the option has been altered. Which is done once every day (unless recalculation was initiated manually).

To be maximum clear, our current config:

1665610426691.png

And previous one:
1665610453628.png

With previous config, client subscription was stopped due to disk overusage.

To be maximum clear, our current config:

[...]

And previous one:

[...]

With previous config, client subscription was stopped due to disk overusage.

Right, so you changed the options what to include in the disk space calculation. From "backup files created by the administrator" being (checked and thus) included in the calculation, to have this option uncheck. Which excludes it from the calculation.

As disk space is calculation periodically (and not realtime) the changed option hasn't had any effect yet on the current disk space. (That's assuming you've changed the option only within the last ~ 24 hours). My suggestion would the manually recalculate the disk space as explained in this support article:

If afterwards the disk space still does include admin created backups, then there's likely a bug.

Last edited:
Oh, my bad, checked wrong checkbox to generate a screenshot for you. Just checked these settings on another our Plesk, currently it is set this way:
1665611675899.png
Problematic machine was set up this way too.

Okay, still, if you manually recalculate the disk space for the subscription does it include the admin created backups?

Just recalculated and tested this subscription with different option enabled.

both options disabled:
20178.4 MB used of 50 GB

"domain backup files" only enabled:
35592 MB used of 50 GB

"backup files created by the administrator" only enabled
20178.4 MB used of 50 GB

both options enabled:
74380.9 MB used of 50 GB

Meanwhile, user has no his own backups set up so I have no idea where the last size came from.

Look like you're right and this might be a bug. Would you be so kind and fill out a detailed bug report?

Bug report can be submitted here via the link below. Please describe the issue and steps to reproduce in detail, so developers can reproduce the issue.

Back