• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

bandwidth count and statistics problem

• Thread starter AbsolutelyFreeW
  • Start date
A

AbsolutelyFreeW

running 7.0.2 we have major problems with statistics:

1. users not using a domain with dns, but using IP instead http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/domain.com do not use the bandwidth counter, it does not see them

2. even webstatistics and webalizer do not run. the link to it from control panel points to http://domain.com/webstat which is wrong since they don't use dns AND it is not generated at all looking in the directory from the file manager.

3. Running statistics.exe does not include the domain at all and only generates statistics with domains with dns

this is really really really bad.

Could someone help or please contact support and ask what to do?? How do I at least generate statistics manually or somehow get the bandwidth used?

PLEASE BUG REPORT THIS AND DEMAND A HOTFIX. POTENTIALLY ALL YOUR CUSTOMERS CAN USE THEIR IP INSTEAD OF THEIR DOMAIN, TO AVOID THEIR BANDWIDTH USAGE BEING LOGGED

hi AbsolutelyFreeW
I assume that it am difficult all possibilities to program. plesk is probably aligned to virtual domains. we worth partly the data of iss log directly out.there are to analyze different programs for the log.did you already look at a log with an editor?

the statistics runs on our server domain.com/webstat. I have linux the statistics by mistake paralyzed with to try (permission)otherwise however it functioned - not as beautiful pictures as on windows. I must there again install. owing to acronis I can repair that fast.

Hi cviviani,

I didn't quite understand you. I think you are saying I should look at scripts that analyze the logs instead, and yes, I have searched some. I'm going to test this one:

http://www.livebandwidth.com

ja , with livebandwith it could go. I do not know all statistics programs. whath you to consider, that they none isapi filters need. statistics programs need a lot of cpu time.

in iss manger logfile properties can you indicate which information the logfile should be contained. I would take the iss the log.

over SNMP (only traffic) it could also go is however dangerous. many have write and read on(so one can switch services off - Service Unavailable).

in addition, you can adapt awstat. it must be configured only by hand.that is simpler and free.

apology I German speaks is it there partially with difficulty the correct words to be found.

Thank you, yes I saw that some need extra isapi etc, I realy didn't find one I could try simply and free until I saw this one, and it seems to work fine now.

Plesk is not logging the default website at all, and the iis is set to not log bandwidth statistics either, so my logs can't be used to get old bandwidth usage unfortuanately.

This logs now all ip usage as one domain. It can be used as long as its just one customer not using dns, so it will be used very temporarily. Then we need either to write a script ourselves for parsing the log files or will ahve to get a fix.

I don't think people have seen how big a leak this problem is.

PLEASE EVERYONE REPORT THIS BUG. Noone using plesk with windows have any control over the bandwidth unless they disable the default site entirely. Check your real bandwidth usage with MRTG !!! so every1 need to say you need this so they resolve it soon

there is the possibility in windows2003 traffic to look at the laninterface or over the network monitor.

I have a snmp switch's and measure there traffic. in former times I also used mrtg. ran well. during a change one must change however some over. now we use paessler prtg.
they have a other product to - ipcheck to test protocols http:mail dns. this is also very good.

download a trial - nices programs

thanks, but I need to measure the bandwidth per domain, and I need plesk to restrict the usage based upon bandwidth as it should. so just measuring the whole server bandwidth is not really a solution.

I just hope there will be a 7.0.4 soon that fix this

hmm - how i say to you ?

I take not on that all user in such a way http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/domain.com connect . i think thats at only one - otherwise me would surprise as exact.

one must argue with the log files. an evaluation(filtering) is difficult without hostheadername only to the IP - permits no conclusions on the domaine.

take a look
open iss manager
properties of domain.com(how catch the default ip adress)
press Active log format
under log file directory you see the appropriate folder name W3Sxxx > log is under windows\system32\logfiles\W3Sxxx.
under tap Advanced you see extended logging options (press F1 help to see what the options means)

now you can go to the folder windows\system32\logfiles\W3Sxxx and analyze the log file with an editor - here you see which for results are supplied. this log file is only for this domaine ip or hostname.

awstat must be now configuriert that this log file is used and a composition on the IP takes.

I think that a the solution at the moment

perhaps plesk brings a solution but it needs a special solution - since plesk is designed for virtual domainen. error or not i do not know.
it also difficult to measure the other traffic(pop,smtp..) for the IP without hostname.

yes, exactly. Each domain has it's own folder under system32/Logfiles, but if you use the domain from the ip (and be aware some clients using this do not have a choice, not all domain registrars allow name server changes, but they only have forwarding) so the logfile IIS uses is the log file for the default web site (and not in the log for that domain)

I would like to test how awstats would analyze it, but plesk do not log the domain at all !!! which means no stats can be seen, in webalizer or awstats. Do you know how I can run awstats on the default web site log instead?

yes, plesk needs to address this. but I think using mails need dns, so measuring mail should not be a problem, it is simply only the traffic from dns.

as one acount can be viewed from several different domains, one domain can have dns, but another domain can forward to the same account with ip, thus the result plesk should give is the merger of both dns traffic and ip traffic for that account.

with our servers with iss without plesk we make the logs files directory according to domain the name. like that it is clearer . that would be a subjective desire on plesk even if they could make.

you must try it out. a IP connection is beginning over connect and port. then inquires the hostheder. you can regard this with a protocol anylyzer.in any case you become the answer from the appropriate domaine. otherwise no result would be present. that releases at the same time a log for the the appropriate domain.

wish you luck with collect of experiences - thus one learns

Cheers!!! Plesk listened and acted! ;)

--- "A. Baskakov via RT" wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> This issue has been fixed. The fix will be available
> in Plesk 7.0.4 patch.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> ______________________________