• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Bandwidth highest user is my own server

Daphne

New Pleskian
Hi,

I'm getting over usage warnings for bandwidth for one of my sites. I have webstat on as I'm not very savy with the back end. The usage is showing that my server is 12% of the usage. I've asked the company who manages my server why that is. They don't know.

It is a wordpress site. I also have Wordfence installed. In the live logs it shows my own server constantly hitting the site.

Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks,
Daphne

Well, you might consider switching the company that is managing your server, as this is something they should be able to investigate. It might cost extra, depending on the level of service you're already paying for, but they should be able to do it.

In any case, it would be best if someone could take a look at your server and your Wordpress settings. It would be difficult to guide you step by step over everything as things will get complicated quickly.

Speaking in general, Wordfence might be showing flawed information due to misconfiguration. You might be observing legitimate traffic that actually comes from the outside of your server but just appears to be internal.

As to whether the amount of traffic is normal or not, it's really impossible to say without looking at the server logs, stats, etc..

I have about 120 websites with this hosting company that I manage through Plesk. Moving isn't that easy. I've done it but it is painful and I always lose clients. This traffic thing I've seen on regular sites as well so it is not just a Wordpress thing. I was just wondering if anyone had seen the same thing and found out what in Plesk is hitting the sites.

Nothing really. It's the outside traffic that just appears like it's local.

The default web server configuration in Plesk consists of Apache with Nginx in front of it. One might be observing the traffic on the last step, coming into Apache from Nginx and be lead to believe that it originates locally, but it doesn't.

BTW, moving Plesk servers between providers, when done right, can be completely hidden from the customers and from the visitors. It takes some planning an preparation, but the move itself requires practically no downtime and no changes to the client side of things.

Back