• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Best option for Magento 2?

Taher

New Pleskian
Hi all,

I am new to all this, There is some great info on these forums but i cant seem to find what i'm looking for.

I'v just got a Hosted VPS L package with 1&1 few weeks ago with intentions to making my own Magento store. As i am typing this i am also reinstalling my server image for the 50th time with Ubuntu 16.04 64bit with plesk onyx pre installed.

Iv tried centOS 7 with plesk onyx too but didnt get far with that. I even tried Bitnami Magento install from 1&1 cloud panel/ applications, liked the way it was a quick install but couldn't get my domain setup as easily as i did in Plesk panel, and what if i wanted another site? I'v also did a clean install of Ubuntu 16.4 and centos7, updated php, mysql, changed memory limit and managed to get Magento working by following a guide until i hit some hiccups and gave up after pulling my hair and smoking a pack.

So i am looking for a simple guide with which i can build a Magento store and have the plesk panel to manage my vps.

I would appreciate it if you can post some links to put me in right direction. I am looking for guides that have the ssh commands as i am comfy my way around that. or even youtube link.

I'v read that its best to install centos 7 without plesk, then update mysql/maraidb and then install plesk. will that still give me control and will i still be able to use the licence from my host for plesk?

thanks

- Install CentOS 7
- Update CentOS to 7.4
- Install MariaDB 10.1 (nothing earlier or later than 10.1 or you'll have issues)
- Install Plesk
- Install Magento by uploading the compress Magento .tar file and extracting on the server using Plesk file manager or use the Plesk Application section for instant install
- Choose PHP 7.1 (7.2 is still not stable on Magento 2.2)
- Fix PHP memory settings so Magento doesn't hang during install
- Create your Magento database or if using the app installer it'll do it for you
- Go to your Magento install page and finish your install, again unless you used the built-in Magento app in Plesk.

Hope this helps... :)

I can say from my own experience that Magento is a great platform that incorporates useful features, but it takes time to learn and to understand very well how it works properly. When I began using Magento, I even took some courses to know how to use all the features this program provides. If you want to know more about Magento and all the extensions that could be used, you should access this site How to Show or Disable Magento 2 Product Reviews . I found it useful and it helped me a lot when I had questions regarding this program.

Last edited:
- Install CentOS 7
- Update CentOS to 7.4
- Install MariaDB 10.1 (nothing earlier or later than 10.1 or you'll have issues)
- Install Plesk
- Install Magento by uploading the compress Magento .tar file and extracting on the server using Plesk file manager or use the Plesk Application section for instant install
- Choose PHP 7.1 (7.2 is still not stable on Magento 2.2)
- Fix PHP memory settings so Magento doesn't hang during install
- Create your Magento database or if using the app installer it'll do it for you
- Go to your Magento install page and finish your install, again unless you used the built-in Magento app in Plesk.

Hope this helps... :)
Yes, I guess the solution will work. However, if you are new to the field then I will not suggest you to go this way. As, it gets more and more complicated for a newbie. You can go for shopify for plug and play solution. If you want to know about Shopify and looking for the key differences between magento and shopify then you can easily just google it and you will get to know more about it. Shopify will provide you will all the necessary features that one needs in an ecommerce store.

Back