• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question PHP 7.1 for old Magento 1.x site

pvdv

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 12?
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk 18.0.56?
Hello,

I need PHP 7.1 for an old Magento 1.x website. Yes I know it's deprecated, but we need some time to build a new site.

Is it possible to install the latest version of Plesk on Debian 12, and add PHP 7.1? Or do I need older versions of Plesk or Debian?
When I add the "sury.org" repository to a Debian 12 server "apt install php7.1" seems to work.

When I look at the Plesk website, I don't see PHP 7.1 as an option:
But I think Plesk can also use a PHP version provided by the OS, isn't it?

With regards,
Paul

Thanks for your fast answer!

Yes, I did see that. But it does not answer my question. My question is not: "how to install a custom PHP version?" but: "is it possible to use PHP 7.1 with a modern Plesk and Debian 12?"

I have also heard that older PHP versions do not work on newer Debian/Ubuntu versions because of a new version of OpenSSL. But I cannot find the details anymore.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

An old PHP version will for sure work with Plesk. If it also works with your operating system, I do not know. But I assume, if someone created a package for Debian 12, it will work on it.

I did install Debian 12 and the latest version of Plesk.

I did install "php7.1-fpm" and some modules from the sury repository. This repository is from Ondřej Surý, the guy who makes the PHP packages for Debian and Ubuntu.

But I do not see PHP 7.1 in the PHP settings of Plesk.

When I enable "PHP from OS vendor" in the installer it installs PHP8.3 and I can choose that in the PHP settings of Plesk. But I cannot choose PHP7.1.
I did try "update-alternatives --set php /usr/bin/php7.1" but this does not help in Plesk.

How can I use PHP 7.1 in Plesk?

Ah. For me it was not a "custom PHP version" but a "PHP version from OS vendor". But I still have to register it in Plesk I guess...

It see PHP 7.1 now in Plesk. This command did it:

plesk bin php_handler --add -displayname php7.1 -path /usr/sbin/php-fpm7.1 -phpini /etc/php/7.1/fpm/php.ini -type fpm -id php7.1 -clipath /usr/bin/php7.1 -service php7.1-fpm -poold /opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php-fpm.d

Not sure about what the "-poold" option is or does, and I did not found an example. Even the "list" option does not show it. I created an empty directory with "mkdir -p /opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php-fpm.d".

It see PHP 7.1 now in Plesk. This command did it:

plesk bin php_handler --add -displayname php7.1 -path /usr/sbin/php-fpm7.1 -phpini /etc/php/7.1/fpm/php.ini -type fpm -id php7.1 -clipath /usr/bin/php7.1 -service php7.1-fpm -poold /opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php-fpm.d

Not sure about what the "-poold" option is or does, and I did not found an example. Even the "list" option does not show it. I created an empty directory with "mkdir -p /opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php-fpm.d".

I recommend to delete the "/opt/plesk/php/7.1/etc/php-fpm.d" directory again and to set the -poold parameter to the proper default directory "/etc/php/7.1/fpm/pool.d/" (that one already exists and should contain a www.conf file)

The poold parameter specifies the directory where the websites individual php-fpm config files are stored

@ChristophRo: Thanks for your help! I've changed this with:

plesk bin php_handler --update -displayname php7.1 -path /usr/sbin/php-fpm7.1 -phpini /etc/php/7.1/fpm/php.ini -type fpm -id php7.1 -clipath /usr/bin/php7.1 -service php7.1-fpm -poold /etc/php/7.1/fpm/pool.d/

Back