• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Best OS

C

corpwebhost

I'm reloading a server and will be puting the latest version of Plesk 7.5.3 on it. To the best of everyone's knowledge, what OS and additional software would you suggest?

My personal preference is to have stability, low or no problems, high compatibility, low maintanance. Since I don't feel the need to be on the bleeding edge, I have stuck with RH9.

As to additional software, boy that is a potentially long laundry list....:D

But I am way too tired to write my long list..

My own choices: (short list)
-Firewall FIRST!!!
-Security lockdown SECOND!!!
-Do not use Dr Web
-Do not pay Plesk for Spamassassin
-Use other AV alternatives which work better for less $$ (ART or 4PSA)
-Use other SA alternatives (ART or 4PSA)
-Chrootkit and Rootkit Hunter (minimum)
-Server hardening
-Secure Kernel
-Many Qmail add-ons

-Many many many many other things.

I'd say go with whatever you're most comfortable with. Personally I use RH9 on my systems requiring the most stability. RHEL3 is OK, although I think the updates system is kind of a hassel (otherwise its great). CentOS is a nice alternative to RHEL, especially since it integrates with yum so nicely.

The fedora's are good if you need the latest features, FC4 for example has php5 and mysql 4.1 by default. In addition if you're running a lot of java apps, you'll get better performance on FC2 and above due to them being based on a 2.6 kernel.

I noticed there is no option for FreeBSD 5.3 which is what i am using. It is stable and secure. There are other things that need to be done to secure it even further but it is easy to work with especially with the ports collection, and for the most part plesk is an easy install as long as you do it from the command prompt.

Unfortunately you have to wait longer for plesk and some of the other products from SWSoft, i.e. been waiting for an integrated version of sitebuilder for almost a year now. :confused:

But i think the bottom line is that if you are going to be doing some serious hosting you'll more than likely be doing it with more than one OS ;) So it doesn't hurt to be versatile and experiment with a few if you have the time.

The best OS is like the best woman, you will not find it in this life :) If you are convinced that you found it, it's just a matter of redefining metrics...

The main issue is to go with a Linux OS or with FreeBSD. There are advantages and disadvantages for every one of them, so this question has only one answer: your answer to the problem.

wow I think I am having a Zen moment after that last post.

I loaded it up with Enterprise v3 and aside from a few issue with the image that the company used, everything seems to be running fine aside from not personally knowing how to edit things on a command line basis and waiting the the NOC to tweek it.

Any one available for paid service work if I need it?

Back