• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Best way to add a SSL certificate

Andrea Bampi

New Pleskian
Hi, I searched through the forum but didn't find any direct answer to my issue, so I'm here...
I manage a bunch of servers running Plesk (11.x and 12.x) and hosting about 20-30 sites each. I installed my first SSL certificate about a week ago (on a 12.x Plesk). I realized only AFTER the installation that I didn't follow the method suggested by the CA (Thawte). Basically, they suggest to add it through Websites & Domains > Secure Your Sites (like ALL other guides I found online). I added the certificate through Tools & Settings > SSL Certificates (then I assigned a dedicated IP to the website and the SSL certificate to the dedicated IP).
I didn't have any issue and the website seems to work like a charm in https, but I was wondering what's the difference between the two procedures. The "weird" thing is that now I don't see anything referring to the certificate under Domains > Secure Your Sites - the SSL support is enabled, but no certificate is selected here. I understand that adding SSL through Tools & Settings > ... should be done when the intent is to secure the Plesk Admin Panel, but it seems to work correctly for individual websites too. How should I add the next certificate on the server? I frankly like to see all certificates listed in the same page but I'm curious about the pros and cons of the two approaches.
Thanks!

Back