• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question Best way to add a SSL certificate

Andrea Bampi

New Pleskian
Hi, I searched through the forum but didn't find any direct answer to my issue, so I'm here...
I manage a bunch of servers running Plesk (11.x and 12.x) and hosting about 20-30 sites each. I installed my first SSL certificate about a week ago (on a 12.x Plesk). I realized only AFTER the installation that I didn't follow the method suggested by the CA (Thawte). Basically, they suggest to add it through Websites & Domains > Secure Your Sites (like ALL other guides I found online). I added the certificate through Tools & Settings > SSL Certificates (then I assigned a dedicated IP to the website and the SSL certificate to the dedicated IP).
I didn't have any issue and the website seems to work like a charm in https, but I was wondering what's the difference between the two procedures. The "weird" thing is that now I don't see anything referring to the certificate under Domains > Secure Your Sites - the SSL support is enabled, but no certificate is selected here. I understand that adding SSL through Tools & Settings > ... should be done when the intent is to secure the Plesk Admin Panel, but it seems to work correctly for individual websites too. How should I add the next certificate on the server? I frankly like to see all certificates listed in the same page but I'm curious about the pros and cons of the two approaches.
Thanks!

Back