• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated and is no longer available for installation on the current Plesk release (18.0.63).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, the extension will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan and the deprecation FAQ.

Question Best way to add sftp user to be jailed within an existing host

Paul Larson

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian Version 18.0.62 Update #2, last updated on July 29, 2024 11:19 PM
There are numerous threads that cover this issue, many I've read, but I can't seem to master this workflow.

• A domain exists, example.com, with user: example
  • A directory exists, /var/www/vhosts/example.com/upload
  • I'd like an sftp user (not ftp) jailed to /var/www/vhosts/example.com/upload
FTP is not an option for the client. FTP or over TLS not an option.

I've solved this in the past, but always felt I'm over-working something. My norm has been:

• Create completely separate ssh user (as root user, not in Plesk)
  • Create group (usermod command), such as my-group, where 'example' and 'additional_user' are members
  • Set directory ownership of /var/www/vhost/example.com/upload to example:my-group
  • Then, the ssh user additonal_user can navigate to this 'upload' directory and upload files - but they can also navigate the rest of the web property
Paul

I can't really think of any another way than what you've described already. Which is not to say there isn't any other way to accomplice, but to me your approche makes sense :)

Back