• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Big Pain in the ***

W

Wolfman97

For me, Plesk is nothing but a pain in the ***.

I signed up for a server with Godaddy. To make a long story short, they seriously screwed up some network settings on their end and their brain-dead support insisted that I would have to install Plesk on my server before they would support me.

I had no need of Plesk because I am not doing anything that would require it. I didn't want to put it on the server, but they insisted I do so as a condition of support. There would be an extra charge for this useless piece of software, of course.

So I told them to install (which required redoing the whole server from scratch) and when they had it done I called them back about the same old problem. Then they told me that if I wanted support I would have to contact the Plesk support. They couldn't help me. Does this sound like a serious screw job?

To make a long story, including weeks of down time, very short, the problem was a network setting on their end.

Now I have Plesk on my server and they are charging me for it every month. The only way they say they will stop the charges is if I redo the entire server -- and have a hell of a lot of extra expense and down time in the process.

Meanwhile, Plesk seems to interfere with all sorts of simple s**t that was never a problem without it -- mostly access permissions on new stuff and the occasional random locking down of random directories. Every time I do something new, I have to wade through all that Plesk stuff with no clue whether Plesk may be affecting it or not.

You may or may not have a great product for somebody. But Godaddy basically ripped me off when they forced me to buy it, and I don't need that extra layer of complication so, for my money, you could dump your entire product in the ocean and make the world a better place.

The real problem though, is Godaddy. I pay every month because their mistakes brought me to you. They refuse to do the right thing -- which would be to simply stop charging me for it. I would still have the problems that Plesk causes for me, but at least I wouldn't be paying for the pain in the ***.

I would suggest that your top people have a talk with Godaddy's top people about this kind of ripoff. As it is now, you don't want to hear what I tell others when they ask about your product.

i have to agree about their support team. their support team is awful! i spend loads of $$$ on making international calls to them to get a 'decent' answer

Back