• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

/bin/bash(chroot), error: must be suid root?

S

sunmacet

Hello,

One of my domain account is getting this weird "must be suid root" error when trying to log in with SSH (in SSH client log). Setting chroot off and on won't fix the issue. I have no idea where to look what could be wrong. I have checked that /usr/bin/chroot and /usr/local/psa/bin/chrootsh is owned by root user.

Please. Any ideas?

is this problem located to one domain?
if you have another domain which is working, compare files in /var/www/vhosts/domain1.com and /var/www/vhosts/domain2.com in subfolders bin/, etc/ usr/lib/ ...

Thanks for your reply.

The issue is just for one domain. However those dirs seems to contain same files with same permissions. What I should be looking for that might cause this issue?

Best regards

can you remove access to the domain the ability to have ssh and then give it back to see if it is granted properly?

I have removed and regranted the SSH and the issue remains. I might need to buy ticket for this one. :(

same problem

hi,

i know, real old thread, but have the same problem with plesk 10.3.1

i startet chrootsh with strace. but i just can see:
"plesk-chroot must be root suid" but permissions on chrootsh plesk binary are correct. :(

is there any known problem?

thanks

argonius

permissions are correct

as in my previous post, the permissions are correct:

ls -al /usr/local/psa/bin/chrootsh
-rwsr-x--- 1 root psacln 16728 Jun 29 13:42 /usr/local/psa/bin/chrootsh

i compared them also with another plesk server. they are identical.

but straceing the binary it says it is not suid root, but as you can see
owner is root, setuid is set and it is executable for users of group psacln :(

thanks for any help

greetz
argonius

Did you ever get a solution for this? After upgrading a server from Plesk 8 to 10 on domains that have the shell set to chroot the site-level users can't log in and if I give the user bash, create all the chroot directories and try to manually execute the chrootsh, it just returns immediately.

Just FYI, the thing about 'must be suid root' is an error related to trying to strace a setuid binary, it's not the actual chrootsh binary telling you that. That information is being output to syslog, that's why it shows up in strace.

Last edited:
Back