• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved BIND says it can't start

MattCaz

Basic Pleskian
I migrated files over from a plesk linux 12.5 to a VPS running Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 and centos 7. It seems that I can't get bind to run with the migrated domains so I removed them all and added a brand new domain to the Onyx server and BIND still won't run. I have checked and Onyx did update the 2 files with the host name for the server.

I have a FQDN of caz.cazserver.com

When I typed in the following command I get this result:
[root@cazserver ~]# /bin/systemctl start named.service

Job for named.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status named.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

======================

When I type in the usual commands to check the status of BIND, or to stop / start I get this message in terminal: Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status named.service

With this result:
● named.service - Berkeley Internet Name Domain (DNS)
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/named.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2016-11-01 12:01:30 PDT; 5min ago
Process: 14072 ExecStartPre=/bin/bash -c if [ ! "$DISABLE_ZONE_CHECKING" == "yes" ]; then /usr/sbin/named-checkconf -z /etc/named.conf; else echo "Checking of zone files is disabled"; fi (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 01 12:01:30 caz.cazserver.com bash[14072]: zone 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA/IN: loading from master file localhost.rev failed: file not found
Nov 01 12:01:30 caz.cazserver.com bash[14072]: zone 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA/IN: not loaded due to errors.
Nov 01 12:01:30 caz.cazserver.com bash[14072]: _default/0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA/IN: file not found
Nov 01 12:01:30 caz.cazserver.com bash[14072]: zone cazserver2.com/IN: loading from master file cazserver2.com failed: file not found
Nov 01 12:01:30 caz.cazserver.com bash[14072]: zone cazserver2.com/IN: not loaded due to errors.
Nov 01 12:01:30 caz.cazserver.com bash[14072]: _default/cazserver2.com/IN: file not found
Nov 01 12:01:30 caz.cazserver.com systemd[1]: named.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Nov 01 12:01:30 caz.cazserver.com systemd[1]: Failed to start Berkeley Internet Name Domain (DNS).
Nov 01 12:01:30 caz.cazserver.com systemd[1]: Unit named.service entered failed state.
Nov 01 12:01:30 caz.cazserver.com systemd[1]: named.service failed.

=======================
I've never had this issue when I migrated from plesk panel to plesk panel. I can provide whatever extra info people who are smarter than me might need if you can tell me how to get it for you.

I sincerely appreciate your time and assistance and do not take anything for granted. I realize that I am asking strangers to take time from their busy day to bail my butt out with this issue.

Matt Caswell

I Re-Imaged the server and set it up with Plesk 12.5 and Centos 6 which is exactly what the old server has. I'll move my sites over 1 at a time. Maybe someday I'll move to Onyx. And Yes UFHH01 I read everything I could about it, including that article (thanks for taking the time to post a reply) but being DNS semi-stupid, I decided to punt!

Back