• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Bug: CNAME causes "Incorrect combination of DNS records is present in the DNS zone"

jj05

Basic Pleskian
I have a domain example.com, and a domain alias (only Web service is aliased) example.net

When I try to add a CNAME record on example.net that is different from the one on example.com, e.g.:
dns --add 'example.net' -cname 'mail' -canonical 'mail.example.com'

I get the following error:
Incorrect combination of DNS records is present in the DNS zone

The same thing happens through the GUI.
As a workaround I had to manually add the entry in the database.

When I try to add a CNAME record on example.net that is different from the one on example.com, e.g.:
dns --add 'example.net' -cname 'mail' -canonical 'mail.example.com'

I get the following error:
Incorrect combination of DNS records is present in the DNS zone

Ronald Aitchison said:
Any number of MX records may be defined. If the mail server lies within the domain it requires an A record. MX records do not need to point to a host in this zone. MX records should not point to CNAME RRs (but frequently do, see the discussion on this topic). Defining MX records for subdomains.

REFERENCE
DNS for Rocket Scientists

HTH,

Last edited:
Thanks Eric, that explains it.

A more useful message such as "An MX record can't point to a CNAME according to RFC1034 in section 3.6.2" is in order. Especially since I'm adding a CNAME record, not the MX record, and there's no hint what's the root cause.

Or alternatively completely disable the check.
http://mengwong.com/misc/rfc1912-is-wrong.html

Last edited:
Back