• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

[BUG] Slave DNS Manager 1.2-5

TimMcTPC

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I'm using the Slave DNS manager extension to manage 3 slaves. If DNS for a domain is switched off, the slaves are not notified. At some point the slaves try to refresh the zone from the master but the master refuses because it is no longer authoritative.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Did you resolve this issue?

I'm also having another issue where upon removing a domain from Plesk, it removes the config but not the actual zone file itself.

Haven't managed to solve this yet.

For your other issue though, I just wrote a quick one liner (!) to do the clean up:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
DIFF=$(grep -Fvf <(awk '{print $2}' /var/cache/bind/3bf305731dd26307.nzf) <(ls -1 /var/cache/bind | grep -v -e '^named.stats$' -e '\.nzf$' -e '^managed-keys\.bind\(\.jnl\)\?'))
if [ "$1" != "--run" ]
then
  echo $DIFF
else
  cd /var/cache/bind/
  mv $DIFF /etc/bind/old_zones/
fi

run it with no arguments to see a list of zones it will remove - then use --run to actually remove them

Regards

Hi Tim,

Thank you, sorry I'm not too familiar with bash code, could you please let me know what this does exactly?

From what I can gather, is it comparing the the zone configs to the actual zones itself and then moving the zones that do not have current configs to another folder?

To Odin/Parallels
Could this extension please be updated to fix both of these issues? cPanel have a DNS only version, we could at least have a slave extension manager that performs all of the job, not just some of it.

Hi Tim,

I've tried this script but it seems to do the opposite. It doesn't show only the domains that don't have a config in 3bf305731dd26307.nzf, it lists all domains.

I altered the script to suit my directory paths. What would I need to change so that it only picks up the domains without a config?

Code:
#!/bin/bash
DIFF=$(grep -Fvf <(awk '{print $2}' /var/named/slaves/3bf305731dd26307.nzf) <(ls -1 /var/named/slaves | grep -v -e '^named.stats$' -e '\.nzf$' -e '^managed-keys\.bind\(\.jnl\)\?'))
if [ "$1" != "--run" ]
then
  echo $DIFF
else
  cd /var/named/slaves/
  mv $DIFF /etc/named/old_zones/
fi

Hi,

If DNS for a domain is switched off, the slaves are not notified. At some point the slaves try to refresh the zone from the master but the master refuses because it is no longer authoritative.
I have checked this on Plesk Onyx. When I suspend/disable domain, it still stays in named.conf and served by master DNS. So, I do not see reasons why disabled domain should be deleted from slave DNS. If you see "no longer authoritative", it looks like another issue; maybe Forwarded to devs - DNS - order of records unreliable and thus primary master name server in SOA broken

I'm also having another issue where upon removing a domain from Plesk, it removes the config but not the actual zone file itself.

Yesterday, I think I fixed this, but my pull request not applied yet. It works only on slave DNS server with BIND 9.10+.
Add flag "-clean" to "rndc delzone" for BIND v9.10+ by ayamshanov · Pull Request #29 · plesk/ext-slave-dns-manager

Back