• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can I trust a Plesk backup?

travisk

New Pleskian
Last night I did a complete restore of my plesk configuration with the "pleskrestore" utility. Everything restored perfectly, except my MySQL database was missing about 1/3 of its tables.

The story starts out with a boneheaded rm -rf command that wiped out /lib on my 1&1 root server. After smacking my forehead and confessing my sins to my sysadmin brethren over AIM, I initiated a re-image of my server through the 1&1 admin site.

An hour later, I had Plesk grab a new license, upgraded from 8.0 to 8.0.1, downloaded my backup file, and initiated a pleskrestore with the "-level all" parameter. 30 minutes later, my server was up, my sites were back, and the database was restored.

Then I noticed that it was missing some tables. Luckily, I had downloaded a backup of the database through phpMyAdmin in the panic after the /lib incident. The tables that were missing where in the phpMyAdmin export, and it was basically the bottom 3rd of the database script. There was nothing else significant about these tables. They had been in existence for months. The database was about 5 megs in size.

So now I don't trust pleskbackup as far as MySQL databases go. I got lucky this time. Any thoughts?

Lucky me, I didn't have the worst case till yet. I really should make a plesk test restore as I read your case...:rolleyes:

I'm using pleskbackup and reobackup. I use reobackup for years now and I'm absolutely satisfied with it.
So reobackup is my "second" guarantee.

I had a failed Plesk restore of mysql databasses until I dumped the tables. Once the tables were dumped, the restore performed exactly as it should. It appears to me that if the database has "any" existing tables, the restore skips the entire database. I have now tested this twice and found it true in both cases. I would recommend you making your own test restore though.

Good suggestion!

One question however: How do you go about dumping the tables?

Thanks in advance!

Back