• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can MIME::TOOLS be installed thru Plesk Control Panel

J

jobsengine

Hello friends,
Today I asked my service provider (shared hosting, linux, plesk 7.5.2)
'whether he had MIME::TOOLS installed for PERL'?
He came back with a 'NO'. [I need this module for sending an attachment through the webpage itself using MIME::TOOLS & MIME::ENTITY features]

Now that I asked him to go thru : http://search.cpan.org/dist/MIME-tools/lib/MIME/Entity.pm

and install : http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/D/DS/DSKOLL/MIME-tools-5.418.tar.gz

He showed hesitation for the following causes:
1) Security reasons of the server for the above type
2) Interference with other domains on the server
3) Will it be added thru the Plesk control panel he had ?
4) Probably he didnt know how to do. lol

Can the webadmin sort out his querries ?
Regards,

CPAN modules installation on Plesk servers - it is generally advised to use much caution.

It cannot be done through the Plesk control panel. You would have to do a root SSH login and do it from the shell prompt.

As to security - I don't use any CPAN modules so I don't keep up on their security issues (sorry).

As to compatibility - I have read that some CPAN modules being installed may cause problems with some packages operating properly, hence the caution advisory.

As to interference with other hosted domains - any package which is installed on a shared hosting server may have an effect on other domains, not just the one which you hope to affect.

As I said, I don't use any CPAN modules, so maybe another forum member may have direct experience with the MIME module on a Plesk server. On this forum and others (Plesk related), I have always seen posts advising against using CPAN when possible.

Thanxs for the reply,
All I gather is the MIME service has to be activated only for my purpose. I dont think this is going to create any security problems to other domains on the server.

Regards,

Back