• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can not bind a socket to address - CentOS 4.4 install

P

phorium

We're trying to install Plesk 8.1 on a fresh install of CentOS 4.4 64bit. However, the autoinstaller is giving us the following error:

----------------
Can not bind a socket to address domain.replaced.net:715 - Cannot assign requested address
Please, check your network configuration

ERROR while trying to check the hostname
----------------

I've checked the hosts file and everything seems to be set up correctly. DNS is set correctly as well - I can see the server by going to the designated domain name (domain.replaced.net), so I'm at a loss on where to go next.

Here's the output of the installer log file:

----------------
START psa-8.1.0-centos4.3.build81061129.22 installing AT Sun Jan 14 20:21:13 PST 2007
Trying to define super-server internet daemon type... xinetd
Trying to check if xinetd daemon is running... done

ERROR while trying to check the hostname

Aborting...

STOP psa-8.1.0-centos4.3.build81061129.22 installing AT Sun Jan 14 20:21:13 PST 2007
----------------

Where do we go from here? Is there something else I can check?

Thanks!!

You need to make sure that 'hostname' is resolved correctly on your server. As I can see hostname resolves to 209.123.16.48:

$ host domain.replaced.net
domain.replaced.net has address 209.123.16.48

So make sure that on your server it is the same. Try to run following two commands:

$ dig `hostname -f` +short

$ grep `hostname -f` /etc/hosts

and post the outputs.

Thanks, Dmitry.

Running those commands returns the correct information, but after doing that it dawned on me that this server is behind a NAT firewall and should be returning it's INTERNAL address and not EXTERNAL, correct?

I'm guessing that the line in the /etc/hosts file with the proper hostname should be configured with the internal IP... I'll give it a try and let you know how that goes (or if it cuts off remote access to the server for me ;-)

Thanks,
-Michael

I'll give it a try and let you know how that goes (or if it cuts off remote access to the server for me ;-)
Can you tell me what was the cause ? I tried many things without success.

Can not bind a socket to address mydomain.com:715 - Cannot assign requested address

Back