• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

can not change permissions

S

sribc22

I am running Pleask 7.6.1.

I am unable to chnage permissions for directories.

When I go to domain/webdirectories/permissions.

An info message declaring that You are not allowed to change permissions for this folder.

How can I revert back and change permissions.

Thanks in anticipation.

Shyamal

This is not as straight forward as the help module in the plesk application. I'm not optimistic this post will be replied to. The only resolution I know is to go to the virtual server and manually change the acl. Or spend hours and hours and hours trying to progress through the most logical path to give access to the the users on a folder. We did purchase premire phone support. It's possible I'll could spend 5 minutes filling out a support ticket online then calling to leave a phone mail message, then get someone who to call me back in a couple of hours. It may be a tactic to cool off customers who are frustrated about the level of response to any question.

Change permissions for folders

You cannot directly change permissions like that

This would be of help to u

To set, change or remove permissions from a group or user:

1. On your Home page, click the domain name you need.
2. Click File Manager in the Hosting group.
3. Click corresponding to the required file or folder.
* To change or remove permissions from a group or user, click the required name in the Group or user names list.
* To set permissions for a group or user, which is not in the Group or user names list, select the required user/group name from the drop-down box located above the list and click add list item: the user/group appears in the list. Select it.
4. To allow or deny permissions to a selected group/user, select the Allow or Deny checkboxes corresponding to permissions listed under Permissions for [user/group name].

Note. If check boxes in Allow and/or Deny columns are shaded, it means that the corresponding permissions are inherited from a parent folder.
* To deny the permission, which are inherited from a parent object as allowed, select the required checkboxes under Deny. This will override inherited permissions for this file/folder.
* To allow the permission, which are inherited from a parent object as denied, clear the Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here checkbox: this removes the inherited permissions. Then select the required check boxes under Allow and Deny.
5. Click OK.

I followed the steps exactly as outlined above. I am getting the same error reported in the original post. It's a green notice across the top of the File Manager screen that says "Information: You are not allowed to change permissions for this folder."

The checkboxes in the allow and deny columns are shaded as described, but I cannot be changed. They are disabled. The same is true for the two checkboxes at the top for options a) "Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here." and b) "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects."

I suppose I can make the changes at root level on the server, but whenever I do that, it seems to screw something up in Plesk.

I am using v8.6.0.5.

Is there any way to get this to work?

Same problem for me.

Strange thing is, I was able to change permissions for one of my domains two weeks ago.

Same problem for me.

Strange thing is, I was able to change permissions for one of my domains two weeks ago.

Ah! Now, instead of going to 'File Manager', I went to 'Web Directories'. Must try and remember that!

Job done.

Cheers Folks

Oh: I'm wrong: I was able to update the Akismet plugin, but not Wordpress itself:

Downloading update from http://wordpress.org/wordpress-3.0.3.zip…

Unpacking the update…

Warning: copy(C:/Inetpub/vhosts/creativenetworks.org.uk/httpdocs/wp-admin/includes/update-core.php) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\creativenetworks.org.uk\httpdocs\wp-admin\includes\class-wp-filesystem-direct.php on line 200

Could not copy files.

Installation Failed

Was laughing, now crying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem but the user is root and the group is root. The folders I want to change show black for permissions not blue. Black = no link to edit Blue = link to edit.
on ver.8.0.0.1

Back