• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Can Plesk do it?

cPanel never charged for Let's Encrypt, at least I was never aware of that because I surely never paid for it on the cPanel servers that are around the DC. I don't remind cPanel charging for any new feature at all ever. They were implemented for everyone with an active license.

To clarify Sergey's point: cPanel didn't have Let's Encrypt support at all for quite some time. Plesk has introduced free Let's Encrypt extension a couple of days after LE went public beta in December 2015. A third party vendor has created a paid ($30) cPanel plugin in early 2016 -- this is what Sergey meant by "paid LE support". Finally, cPanel has introduced official free Let's Encrypt support around August 2016. So, for quite some time, cPanel users who wanted to use Let's Encrypt only had a paid 3rd party option available to them.

Hi, we are glad that you found current Plesk customization means sufficient.
Just feel free to tell in the forum if you see a missing customization ability and let us know which problems your customization can solve for you.
We are collecting and addressing them. We just can do better when we know a purpose of a particular customization.

As for languages, of course, you will probably not need every single language. But assuming you are focusing on the European market alone, where Plesk seems strong, that alone requires more than one language, English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, other....

I just think it's very odd to charge that much for extra languages. Maybe have packs of 3-5, etc. Or for individual languages charge less. You have to consider here that if a company has multiple servers, they would need to have this PER every server if they want consistency. While you can have one server with more languages and others with one, that is a management nightmare if you are segregating customers based on language (one server for Germans, another for Italian's, etc.).
One of the benefits from shared hosters is that they balance resources around by moving accounts based on load performance, disk usage, etc. At least I never considered did that. Servers are consistent in configuration, hardware, etc. They basically are all equal so the experience and services are the same regardless of where a customer was activated, migrated or transferred. This is probably what most companies also do, consistent configurations.

Thanks, you explained this point super clear. I understand this problem very well now. Let us discuss it internally

You could argue here, that you can just provision services and not give user access to containers...

Not intent to argue. :) On the contrary, we are fully agree here and we cannot recommend giving different users access to containers on one machine. You are exactly right that in multi-tenant environment additional VPS-based isolation is required. Alternative is to run Docker containers in Virtuozzo (as Virtuozzo containers). But we don't have any of these solutions at the moment, so unfortunately we cannot yet claim Docker support for multi-tenant environments, single-tenant only for now.

That is not the information we received, and that is here on the forums as well. As far as I know, Presence Builder does not receive any features and is not developed anymore. Only bug fixes. And it has an EOL date already established.

Well, we still deliver fixes. The EOL date was communicated at some point, but then we revoke it and there is no EOL date as of now. I am referencing official EOL policy.
Some traces of the past communication might still be at the forum, and you probably have seen them as we surely didn't remove messages.

We don't invest so much in new WPB features now, as we are focusing more on Plesk. Basing on our observations, demand for hosted sitebuilders isn't that large as you might have expected. :)

The weebly/sitebuilder users. Those that are not Drupal, Wordpress or Joomla users. They are not developers. I must sadly say that things like Weebly have drone a terrible impact on both cPanel, Plesk and most shared companies...

Yes, I can see your point and we agree that this audience doesn't want to "mess with hosting" and wants everything simple. Yet, we want to focus on what we do good and we don't intend to start another sitebuilder of our own (we had 3 different sitebuilders developed previsouly). If you can recommend a hosted sitebuilder in demand, producing static sites, etc - let us know and we will try to build partnership with them for bringing the solution to the market.

About changing the storage path. The reason is to offer different or more complex hosting plans. Other control panel's can do this already.

Imagine the following scenario I post here as example:

It would make no sense to send customers to another control panel just for email. So can Plesk do it? In theory, yes. Technically it would be a bit more challenging.

The reason is that you don’t want to use the same storage for web users as for heavy email users. Website storage is expensive, high performance. Email storage is file storage, cheap, bulk.

So technically the solution here is to have a different storage path for the email plan. You can’t otherwise do it. That means having a different email storage or /home storage for customers on that plan.

I see. Thanks for the very vivid explanation. Let us think on it and see what we can do about it. I am not sure how other panels handle it, but for us custom paths are a bit of a pain technically at the moment. We might be able to have them eventually, but not immediately

Would you like to have a call with our staff BTW to cover your remaining questions? Just send me a private message with your email and we will arrange details

Not intent to argue. :) On the contrary, we are fully agree here and we cannot recommend giving different users access to containers on one machine. You are exactly right that in multi-tenant environment additional VPS-based isolation is required. Alternative is to run Docker containers in Virtuozzo (as Virtuozzo containers). But we don't have any of these solutions at the moment, so unfortunately we cannot yet claim Docker support for multi-tenant environments, single-tenant only for now.

You don't need to introduce the whole solution. That would be very complex, and I'm sure that every vendor wants to use his existent virtualization solution, either its Xen, KVM, VmWare, others. Building support for all of them would require a significant control panel re-write just for virtualization, of course, that is of out the question as Plesk is not a VM control panel and never was.

So the simple, quick fix is let the extension connect more than one remote server vs the current one limitation. That way, providers using Plesk can use whatever virtual platform they want to host docker machines, and Plesk just uses those systems to provision the containers. Plesk only has to see and manage the end users containers, so where they are running doesn' matter as long as the OS is supported, the remote system can be virtual machine, or physical one.

Plesk customers still need to license the extension per Plesk server anyway, because if the client can manage his container from Plesk, that would only apply to dockers connected to that Plesk system. So in another Plesk server, if you want to offer docker, you would need the extension again. If you offer something based on Dockers on one server, you probably want it on all of them, same as the language case, consistency.

By letting your extension connect to multiple systems, you now have multi-tenant support out of the box. How the provider uses those Docker systems and what platform they prefer, and what other Docker tools they use on them to manage or complement the solution, that is another story, and probably each provider will do it differently. Nobody expects Plesk to do it everything.

From the user side, as the first step, implementing the option for users to provision particular docker templates (allowed on his plan), then letting them do basic functions like start, stop and see resources would be more than enough for most customers.

And this would also be secure, because all Dockers launched by that Plesk customer, is configured to only be provisioned on one particular remote Docker system. That way, if the customer causes significant problems regarding performance or security, he is isolated on that remote server. That means you still need one VM per customers, but at least Plesk can claim now multi-tenant support as well and the one VM per customer is true regardless if you are using Plesk or not. And it will be like this for some time.

Now the customer Dockers images are contained in that system. He can't overprovision resources and one compromised image, means only that customer is affected.

There is only 1 single tricky part there. How the extension or Plesk servers connect to those system. You can should assume this:
1. Customers A has Docker VM B configured.
2. Customers A launches Docker systems. One of that gets compromised.
3. Attacker escalates root privileges. He is now contained to that Docker VM B system. But we don't want the attacker getting now access to the Plesk server trough the extension which is connected to that system.

This is quite easy to fix. The extension should never store any logins or sensitive settings on the managed Docker system. All remote calls are done from the Plesk server to the remote system, not the other way around. This way, attackers can never use the extension to gain access to the Plesk server to which its connected or other Docker system that the extension is managing.

Well, we still deliver fixes. The EOL date was communicated at some point, but then we revoke it and there is no EOL date as of now. I am referencing official EOL policy.
Some traces of the past communication might still be at the forum, and you probably have seen them as we surely didn't remove messages.

We don't invest so much in new WPB features now, as we are focusing more on Plesk. Basing on our observations, demand for hosted sitebuilders isn't that large as you might have expected. :)

Wait, so you are saying WPB will not be killed after all? I though one of the reason was that it was maybe a Parallels product. But if I remember correctly it was Plesk Switzerland behind it, so I assume it's the same team correct?

If this is correct, this is fantastic news. Even if not a lot of providers are using it, you have to consider that it gives a terrible added value to the Plesk software. If you lurk around the cPanel forums, people have asked cPanel for ages to build a SiteBuilder into cPanel. Alot of people actually.
They now actually added a basic template builder already. The reason this is probably not requested so much is probably related to the fact that Plesk is geared more towards developers now. But you can't deny the fact that Weebly, Wix, have grown consistently and out of existing cPanel/Plesk customers. The reason is that they don't have a viable solution for that type of clients.

A product like that, will never be a significant revenue source for Plesk. Probably not for companies either. But the point is not losing customers, keeping those customer's, means they will upgrade to something more advanced in the future. Losing them, means they are out and gone. For Plesk as a company, a product like WBP, probably as an addon for Plesk adds tremendous value for Plesk for the simple reason that other control panels don't have a build in solution.

Why not just keep the core stable, and let providers add modules and extend the software? Or open source it for Plesk customers so they can keep using it. I can't recommend one because they are all terrible. WBP was by far one of the best in terms of GUI quality and easy use, even the most newbie users could build stuff on it. I would not invest too many resources on that either if I was Plesk, but there is no need. Just let customers extend it with modules and features, or even their own designs. Once build, something like that doesn't require a lot of extra features or work to maintain. It's a static HTML builder after all. Build a good core and let companies if they want to use it, extend it with things they want or templates.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining your point so vividly. Currently we can only handle one server in Docker - local or remote, but we can consider to extend it later.

WPB product belongs to Plesk entity, so it is not lost to Parallels or something. :)

As of open sourcing or allowing modules added - that is slightly more difficult than it looks. We have experience with opening sources to some partners upon request and so far it never resulted in fixes or improvements developed. Modules (similar to Plesk extensions) require significant upfront development on our side. Modules are only possible for software that was designed as modular. Plesk Extensions appeared as a result of focused investment into developing APIs and SDK, WPB is differen.
For that reason we intend to work with 3rd parties to deliver site building solution. As there are few coming, I hope at least one of them might fit to your needs.

Should you still want to explore more options with our sales - just let us know :)

Back