• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Can you help me figure out the right SPF record?

Space Monkey

Basic Pleskian
I can already make the email work perfectly when I just use one domain in plesk and name the server to something like server.domain.net

Now I'm trying something new and that is to be able to send emails from more than one domain in plesk.

So in the server settings>hostname I entered a domain name I haven't entered in this plesk: server.domain.rocks and made an A record for it with the server IP at the registrar which seems is working.

But I can't seem to figure out the right SPF for any website in plesk.

So far I tried

Code:
v=spf1 +a +mx +a:server.domain.rocks +ip209.***.247.** ?all

v=spf1 a mx ip4: 209.***.247.** -all

"v=spf1 +a +mx +a:mydomain.net +ip4:209.***.247.**?all"  (this is the website entered in plesk not the server hostname)

Everything validates in mail-tester just not the spf.

Now I can get it working for that website if I change the server hostname to server.mydomain.net but then I get the same issues when I add another website.

What am I missing here?

Cheers.

If your server has only 1 IP address (eg. 123.123.123.123) and all your customers send mails only over that server then all your domains can use the same SPF record:
Code:
"v=spf1 mx ip4:123.123.123.123 ~all"

This would allow a domain to send mails from the IP 123.123.123.123 and from the hostname in the MX record of the domain (optional entry, not really needed).

Be careful with the qualifier in front of "all", they have different meanings. I suggest you start with "?all" to prevent bounced mails in case of misconfiguration. Check the SPF documentation for details:
http://www.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax

You can also use an online SPF record generator like this one:
SPF records - Generator

See also:
Sender Policy Framework - Wikipedia

If your server has only 1 IP address (eg. 123.123.123.123) and all your customers send mails only over that server then all your domains can use the same SPF record:
Code:

This would allow a domain to send mails from the IP 123.123.123.123 and from the hostname in the MX record of the domain (optional entry, not really needed).

Be careful with the qualifier in front of "all", they have different meanings. I suggest you start with "?all" to prevent bounced mails in case of misconfiguration. Check the SPF documentation for details:

SPF records - Generator

See also:
Thank you for your reply. I never do hosting for customers because I'm not a techie but a marketer and designer and selfmanaged clouds giving me good speeds while being affordable for my own sites. So far I have done a good job learning and configuring but you never stop learning lol and now it's figuring out possibilities with mailserver.

I'm going to try you SPF and see what will happen.

Cheers.

Code:

SPF records - Generator

See also:
Omg yes!! You are the man!!

It validates 10/10 now :D

Small question though, emails registerated at mail,com still block my emails even though the 10/10 score while on an other server I have plesk on will send to any mail,com address, any idea why that could be?

Small question though, emails registerated at mail,com still block my emails even though the 10/10 score while on an other server I have plesk on will send to any mail,com address, any idea why that could be?

If you already had an SPF record before then this is probably due to the TTL (Time To Live) of your old DNS record. Default TTL is 86400 seconds, so the resolvers of mail.com will cache your old SPF record for 24h.
Wait for 24h and try again.

If they still reject your mails, check the exact rejection message for details, maybe it's not even related to the SPF record.

To hotmail I got a mailer-daemon saying it was blocked due registration at spamhouse and I just did a removal request, I guess that aint instant too.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I will let it sit for now and work on different parts of the site and will report back in a few days.

Cheers

Back