• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Cannot change some user's email passwords

T

thedust2010

There are some email IDs on one of the domains on our Plesk server that simply WILL NOT allow us to change the password whatsoever and we can't log in to these accounts at all. Is this a known bug? Is the only solution to delete the email ID and recreate it? If so, is there any way to retrieve these emails without knowing the password?

This is URGENT as I have a client upset who can't get to some of their email boxes... any ideas?

How did you try to change the password? Did you try it with the cp admin account?

What error does it report?

Hey Death, he posted the same in "Suggestions and Feedback" the other day on 28th August 2005 11:27 AM. I replied on 28th August 2005 04:25 PM asking "what errors", then he didn't return to the thread until 11th September 2005 08:18 PM and he still has not answered the question in that post.

http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?postid=118866#post118866

My last post suggested he try running:

/var/lib/mysql/psa/mysql_fix_privilege_tables --user=admin --password=yourpassword

to try and fix any database privilege problems.

Sorry I didn't reply... it appeared that the email issues had subsided but I was mistaken. I tried running:

/var/lib/mysql/psa/mysql_fix_privilege_tables --user=admin --password=yourpassword

It gave me the following error:

-bash: /var/lib/mysql/psa/mysql_fix_privilege_tables: No such file or directory

And yes, I am trying to change the password while logged in as admin in the CP. The error that we get is:

---
The password is incorrect, use at least 5 characters. The password should not contain mail name as its part.

Only Latin characters, no dictionary words (optional).

Unable to set password:

The password is incorrect, use at least 5 characters. The password should not contain mail name as its part.

---

It gives this error no matter what combination of letters and numbers I feed it for a new password...

Originally posted by thedust2010

Unable to set password:

Just for clarification: Can you provide us with the mailname? Is it maybe a one character or single number?

The mail name that I am focusing on is cristina. There are some other names that we are having problems with and we can't log in to those either (presumably because the password is wrong which is why we're trying to reset them). I have tried all sorts of passwords like k39dne83ns or ks02mx662bn and no dice. I just can't change it at all...

I'm having this same problem. RHEL/Plesk 7.5.4. Anyone have a solution?

To be clear (because I don't think I stated it earlier) we have Fedora Core 2 with Plesk 7.5.4 and we still have this problem.

I discovered the "solution" is to turn off dictionary password checking in Server > Mail.

Add this to the bug list.

That's not the case for us. Basically as I see it, plesk allowed a bad "info" and "contact" user password to be created and that disallows all future changes to users with "info" or "contact" This is a pretty serious issue, the only way to correct it is by turning on "long" email authentication only.

Originally posted by Chris
I discovered the "solution" is to turn off dictionary password checking in Server > Mail.

Add this to the bug list.

Just for the record:
I suddenly have this issue today. The only new thing on the server was an added domain. Its not all accounts that can't be reset... just selective users... other users in the same domain are not affected.

using RHEL3 Plesk 7.5.4

The mail name is unique to all domains on the server and is 8 alphas long...

"long" email authentication only is ON

Originally posted by pewterdragn
Just for the record:
I suddenly have this issue today. The only new thing on the server was an added domain. "long" email authentication only is ON

I have exactly the same problem. Worked fine with just the one domain; after adding another, it accepts few user/password combinations.

Never mind, I'm being stupid. Turn on "Only use of full POP3/IMAP mail accounts names is allowed."

This might be related to the fact that Plesk validates old passwords too.

So - if this mailname password is invalid then you won't be able to change the password from control panel.

You'll have to dig into the mysql directly and fix it right there, like this:

# mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa

mysql> select * from mail, accounts where mail_name='realaaa', mail.account_id=accounts.id;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near ' mail.account_id=accounts.id' at line 1
mysql> select * from mail, accounts where mail_name='realaaa' and mail.account_id=accounts.id;
+----+-----------+-----------+---------+------------+----------+------------+------------+---------------+------------+--------+-----+-------+----------+
| id | mail_name | cp_access | postbox | account_id | redirect | redir_addr | mail_group | autoresponder | mbox_quota | dom_id | id | type | password |
+----+-----------+-----------+---------+------------+----------+------------+------------+---------------+------------+--------+-----+-------+----------+
| 11 | realaaa | true | true | 292 | false | | false | false | -1 | 54 | 292 | plain | qwe |
1 row in set (0.04 sec)

mysql> update accounts set password='newpassword' where id=292;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.01 sec)
Rows matched: 1 Changed: 1 Warnings: 0

I've just changed password for realaaa mailbox from invalid qwe to good newpassword.

Don't forget to change it again from panel so that Plesk updates all needed files.

As for the dictionary check you can use this utility to check if the password is really too simple:

# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/checkpw simple
checkpw: System Error: password is too simple.
checkpw: System Error: password is too simple.

i just ran into a similar problem on 7.5.4 when trying to add a mailbox. the impression i got was that if some other domain already has an email account with the same username as one you are trying to add but the existing one has an encrypted password, plesk will refuse to let you add the new account and will report a password problem as the reason.

you can have accounts with encrypted passwords if, for example, you had migrated domains from another control panel with the migration manager.

Back