• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue CANNOT INCREASE PHP MEMORY - Advanced Monitoring [Alerting] Apache & PHP-FPM memory usage

jammer

New Pleskian
Hi Forum,

I have a problem I cannot seem to solve. My VPS had 1GB of RAM. I have increased the MEMORY_LIMIT in my PHP.ini file to 512M. I have also increased the memory limit for the hosted domain to 512M in my Plesk Admin. I still get [ALERT] messages:

The memory usage status is critical!
The current value is 206.95 MiB.

I have also increased the WordPress WP_MEMORY_LIMIT in my wp-config.php file to 512M.

Can anyone tell me why this might be happening and what I am doing wrong?

Should I be running FPM, FastCGI, or CGI? Would a change make a difference to the memory usage?

I am running Plesk Obsidian 18.0.32 SE on an AWS Lightsail Instance. Hope that is enough info.

Thanks!

You're running out of physical RAM before the configured memory limit is reached, so memory usage is restricted to what's really left by the other processes on the system.
1GB is really not much nowadays.

You're running out of physical RAM before the configured memory limit is reached, so memory usage is restricted to what's really left by the other processes on the system.
1GB is really not much nowadays.
Thank you very much for your response.

I just posted this in another windows thread but...
I have just increased my server memory from 1 to 2 GB and I am still getting this warning for the same values. Giving me a warning at 209MB which wold be just over 20% of what the threshold is set to. Technically I shouldn't be getting this warning until the memory reaches over 400MB if the threshold is set at 20%. Why am I still getting a warning at 200MB memory usage? Any ideas?

The threshold is set to how many % of what?
Does Plesk report the full 2GB or is it still on 1GB?

The threshold is set to how many % of what?
Does Plesk report the full 2GB or is it still on 1GB?
advanced-monitoring.JPG
It must only be set to 20% percent of 1GB because I get critical errors of memory usage as it crests 200MB.
I don't see where Plesk would be reporting memory. I suppose it is becuase the Dashboard feature is not available in the Web Admin SE version from Amazon. There has been a noticeable improvement in speed in the admin area of wordpress so I am assuming Plesk is using the increase in available RAM, just not reporting it correctly.

There has been a noticeable improvement in speed in the admin area of wordpress so I am assuming Plesk is using the increase in available RAM, just not reporting it correctly.
Then I assume mysql/mariadb happily grabbed all the extra RAM and started in normal mode instead of degraded mode with reduced buffers, leaving you with little more than before for php.
But if you want to know for sure you'd have to dig through the logfiles and look at the output of (h)top, ps faux and process stats in /proc.

Back