1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot "reject" email to non-existent user

Discussion in 'Plesk 9.x for Linux Issues, Fixes, How-To' started by AdrianC, Jun 17, 2011.

1. AdrianC

AdrianC Basic Pleskian

40%
    Hello.

[Plesk panel 9.5.4 on CentOS]

I have a domain mysite.com and email me@mysite.com
    I am going to domain > mysite.com > mail settings under "Mail to nonexistent user" I set "reject" and save.
    Then I login to yahoo mail and send an email to 17-me@mysite.com the server replies with failure notice
    I am expecting to silently reject the message sent to non-existent user. Or I got it wrong?
    I tried fixing email settings with this command but there was no change: /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk

A spammer can hit any nonexistent email of my domain with a fake "from" address, then my stupid server replies to the fake "from" spamming him with the included message. This probably lists me as spammer :|

Thank you.

2. ArnonW

ArnonW New Pleskian

I believe that this is actually the correct behaviour for a mail server.
    When an external client attempts to send email to a non-existent address, the mail server immediately replies with a "reject" status without accepting the message for processing. The bounceback email that you are receiving is not from the receiving host, but from the sending host notifying you that it was unable to deliver the message. Silently dropping such messages would be scary I think, so the sending host usually does this.
    The receiving host never sends an outbound email, so it doesn't matter if the from address is fake.