• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can't Apply Self-Signed SSL Certificate

M

MikeConoo

Have a domain on a shared IP address, with Subscriber set to full access.

Went via Server Panel to their Control Panel (logged in as administrator).

Clicked "Websites & Domains" / "SSL Certificates"
Created a Self-Signed SSL Certificate for domain listed at bottom of Websites & Domains.

Instructions state then to apply, go to "Websites & Domains / Web Hosting Settings" and apply SSL Certificate from list.

Beneath heading "IP Address" it shows current IP address and current default SSL Certificate, but no drop-down to change it to my Self-Signed SSL certificate?

The information beneath states "If you have proper privileges, you can select which certificate to use." But I am accessing control panel via my Server Administrator account and checked all permissions allow Web Hosting access?

Can anyone help with changing the default SSL Certificate to my Self-Signed one?

The first rule of SSL Certification is that they can only be applied to a single IP address. You cannot issue additional SSL certificates to a domain on a shared IP, as that IP will inherit the SSL certificate you have assigned globally on the IP.

To change the default certificate for that IP, go to Tools & Utilities > IP Addresses...

Here you can select any additional certificates you have previously added, to act as the preset certificate server-wide.

Hope this helps?

To change the default certificate for that IP, go to Tools & Utilities > IP Addresses...

Here you can select any additional certificates you have previously added, to act as the preset certificate server-wide.

Hope this helps?

Hey, I was looking for the similar kind of answer. I wanted to add additional SSL certs, and was not able to do that.. Thanks Again.

SSL Certificates | Code Signing Certificate

I am now worried for Gmail and Orkut Account, Please help me with this....

I receive Error 107 (net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR):SSL protocol error when I try to go to gmail or sign out.

EV SSL Certificate | SSL Certificates

Update or re-install Google Chrome.

Or use a different browser.

Hello MikeConoo,

Please note down the drawback of shared ssl certificate.

Shared certificate does not carry out business name. Shared Certificate does not impress the customer.
Hence it would be better to spend little amount on dedicated ssl certificate rather than to compromise with shared ssl certificate.
Genially if you want free ssl than many other private certificate provider offer ssl at free cost for 1 month validity named GeoTrust, RapidSSL or trusted ssl reseller http://www.sslmatrix.com

Last edited:
Self signed ssl certificates are really a problem beacuse it fails to sign the root keys so which cannot give the site protection. Self signed ssl certificate maximum does not reach the certificate security. The Certificate Authorities like Comodo SSL Certificate which offers the strongest ssl encryption for the websites, to know more visit http://ssl.comodo.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally not recommend going for self-signed SSL certificates as customer security is the most important part for any website owner and if you are running business online, it wont be a problem for you to invest around $8 to $15 per year for CA certificate.

Just search for authorized SSL resellers who are selling same SSL certificate as discount price (goto Google search for that). I personally recommend going for clickssl.com; one of the leading SSL certificates reseller.

Back