• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can't authenticate to send mails (Postfix)

Thomas Becker

Basic Pleskian
Hello,
I have the problem that I can't send mails with my Plesk 10.4.4 MU7 using Postfix on CentOS 6.1 because getting the error that the login credentials where wrong. IMAP login does work and the correct same passwort is used also for SMTP.

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam
Didn't solved it.

The last time I did a Plesk and a yum update where amongst others this has been updated:
Updated: pam-1.1.1-8.el6.i686
Updated: 2:postfix-2.8.4-11100615.i386

As I can see the password of mailusers are not checked the correct way. Maybe a problem with pam?
Same problem when using plain password and encrypted password during authentication.

maillog:
postfix/smtpd[29726]: connect from xxxxxxxx[xx.xx.xx.xx]
postfix/smtpd[29726]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed
postfix/smtpd[29726]: warning: xxxxxxxx[xx.xx.xx.xx]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: authentication failure
postfix/smtpd[29726]: warning: xxxxxxxx[xx.xx.xx.xx]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure
postfix/smtpd[29726]: disconnect from xxxxxxxx[xx.xx.xx.xx]

/var/log/messages:
postfix/smtpd[29726]: SQL engine 'mysql' not supported
postfix/smtpd[29726]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available
saslauthd[22083]: do_auth : auth failure: [service=smtp] [realm=xxx.de] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth error]
saslauthd[22082]: do_auth : auth failure: [user=xxx] [service=smtp] [realm=xxx.de] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth error]

Please give me an idea how to solve this. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solved it.

During the update the file /etc/sasl2/smtpd.conf was renamed to /etc/sasl2/smtpd.conf.rpmsave

So make sure that the two files
/etc/sasl2/smtpd.conf
/usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
do exist and contain the following:
pwcheck_method: auxprop saslauthd
auxprop_plugin: sql_sqlite3
saslauthd_path: /var/spool/postfix/private/plesk_saslauthd
mech_list: DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
auto_transition: yes
sql_engine: sqlite3
sql_hostnames: localhost
sql_database: /var/spool/postfix/plesk/passwd.db
sql_select: SELECT `%p` FROM domains d, users u WHERE u.name='%u' and d.name='%r' and d.status=0 and u.status=0 and u.dom_id=d.id
sql_verbose: yes
log_level: 9
Then restart postfix and saslauthd:
/etc/init.d/saslauthd restart
/etc/init.d/postfix restart

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your solution, it fixed our issue as well.

Please note that on 64-bit systems the second file is in /usr/lib64/sasl2/smtpd.conf

I have a similar issue after upgrading from 10.2 to 10.4.4

Before reading this thread my log files read:

warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory
warning: unknown[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: generic failure
NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 554 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<xx.com>

After reading this thread I checked and found my /etc/sasl2 directory was empty, and there were two in usr/lib64/sasl2:

- smtpd.conf.backup (timestamped with the update and identical to the lines you listed)
- smtpd.conf

smtpd.conf had the following three lines different:

saslauthd_path: /private/plesk_saslauthd
sql_database: /plesk/passwd.db
sql_select: SELECT FROM domains d, users u WHERE u.name='%u' and d.name='%r' and d.status=0 and u.status=0 and u.dom_id=d.id

I edited this to match yours and copied it to /etc/sasl2 and restarted SASL and Postfix

SASL was not running but started fine and postfix reloaded

Now when I try and send mail I get the following errors:

warning: unknown[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure
NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 554 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<xx.com>

Now it seems my SASL is working but the password lookup is failing?

/var/log/messages shows:

saslauthd[32212]: detach_tty : master pid is: 32212
saslauthd[32212]: ipc_init : listening on socket: /var/run/saslauthd/mux
postfix/smtpd[32313]: SQL engine 'sqlite3#015' not supported
postfix/smtpd[32313]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available
postfix/smtpd[32313]: could not find auxprop plugin, was searching for sql_sqlite3#015
postfix/smtpd[32317]: SQL engine 'sqlite3#015' not supported
postfix/smtpd[32317]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available

I'd be grateful for any clues, thanks very much

Last edited by a moderator:
The mod DID fix the problem, my subsequent problem was my own making:

I have a similar issue after upgrading from 10.2 to 10.4.4
postfix/smtpd[32313]: SQL engine 'sqlite3#015' not supported
postfix/smtpd[32313]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available
postfix/smtpd[32313]: could not find auxprop plugin, was searching for sql_sqlite3#015

As indicated by the 'sqlite3#015' I and the 11 bytes extra file size from the new one to old backup - I uploaded the file in DOS/Windows and not Unix format

Restoring the proper Line Feed and restarting sasl / postfix it all works fine now

Looks like I've earned my Junior Member badge

:)

Back