• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can't login to phpmyadmin after mysql upgrade

D

dennysp

Hi guys,
I upgraded MySQL to 4.1.12 using yum and now when I create a new database in Plesk, and try to access it using a standalone install of phpMyAdmin, it won't allow me to login. If I use the Plesk phpMyadmin client, it works fine.
Also, I can login using usernames/passwords for users that were created before the upgrade, but not for any new user. Plesk is otherwise working fine after the upgrade, but I need to allow some clients access to phpmyadmi outside of plesk. I've tried with both http and cookie based authentication (the latest returns: "#1251 - Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client") Please advice? :)

Thanks
-d

Did you have run

/usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables --user=admin --password='cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow'

Yes, I did, and that didn't fix it, however I've found the solution to the problem:

It looks like the current php mysql extension doesn't support the new authentication protocol in mysql 4.1.1 or higher. The fix was very easy. Add old_password entry on /etc/my.cnf and restart mysql.

Important note:
You will get this error on every php mysql call unless you do the above fix, or change the password for the database user using the OLD_PASSWORD() sql command from a mysql prompt.

If you are running php5, you can avoid this by using the php MYSQLI extension instead.

All about this fix can be found here

Hope this info is useful to someone else here.

Back