• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can't send even with POP3 or SMTP authorization on

G

gideonking

I can't send emails to external servers - configuration info:
- Plesk 7.5.2 / Redhat 9
- Mail prefs:
-- Authorization is required
-- SMTP checked (also tried with POP3 checked)
-- White list 127.0.0.0/8, 127.0.0.1/24, 127.0.0.170/24 (170 is the last portion of my server IP address), [server ip]/8
-- No black list
-- Require full POP3/IMAP account names required (I've also tried with this option turned off)

Things I have tested:
- Open relay allows sending anywhere.
- Moving /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts out of the way allows sending anywhere
- I can send emails internally.
- I can always receive emails OK.
- I have two domains hosted, and both exhibit the same symptoms.

I am using a MacOS X mail client, and have tried with no password required and POP3 authentication, and with each of the authentication settings (Password, MD5, Kerberos 4 & 5, NTLM) when using SMTP. All failed to send emails.

Any suggestions as to what to try next?

Thanks

Gideon

Watch the maillog during an attempt to send email and see what happens. Should see an error of some kind.

If I turn Pop on, I get a whole bunch of messages in /var/log/qmail/qmail-pop3d/current saying tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already used.

If I turn on SMTP and turn off Pop, and try sending with a password, in the qmail-stmpd/current log I get the message:
pid (whatever) from (my ip)
ok (pid) (server name):(server ip):25 (sender server name):(sender ip)::62233
end (pid) status 256
status 0/30

I don't know whether this is of any help - can someone tell me what to do next?

Thanks

Just an update on this - I tried svstat /service/qmail-pop3d and it gave me 0 or 1 second up time and a new pid each time. Should I be worried about this?

Also, I tried telnet localhost 110, and that worked. I'm not sure whether any of this is related to the issue, as it will send emails when the rcpthosts file has been moved out of the way...

Back