• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Cant start watchdog after fixing install...

S

scratt

Hi there,

Probably my fault ultimately this. I managed to damage my Plesk install by not paying attention to some warnings that yum issued. But I was in fact trying to solve a host of PHP / Plesk related issues at the time - which were not of my doing!

While working through the process of re-installing Plesk I managed to fix the PHP issues on the server, and it is now running flawlessly. I basically achieved that by using the CLI Plesk installer to overwrite existing (and some missing files - files that yum had trashed).

The problem I have now is that the watchdog will not start up, and I get the same message that is being referred to in this thread : http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=100500

Wdcollect service does not respond. Refer to Parallels technical support for help.

I have worked through all the suggestions in that thread, and have also tried removing the Watchdog module, and reinstalling it both at the command line, and also via Plesk's GUI.

I've also tried rebooting the server, several times. And manually restarting the watchdog components.
I have also checked that the correct scheduled and startup tasks are in my Plesk settings. They are.
But nothing seems to fix this problem.

I would rather fix this than do a complete clean install on the server, for obvious reasons. And am quite happy to get my hands dirty doing so. But I cannot find enough technical information about the proper funtionality of the various daemons involved in making sure that it works..

Is there a technical document?
Or can someone suggest anything else I might try to resolve this?

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Hi IgorG,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, absolutely. I've worked through the entire setup, and resubmitted the values, just in case that would give the module a kick.

I also referred to the troubleshooting notes in my post above, where I confirmed that I checked that the required event handlers were in place.

The problem in that wdcollect cannot be started by init. This issue was already reported to developers. As possible workaround try to put attached script to /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/modules/watchdog and use it for starting wdcollect without inittab using.
Also you can try to reinstall inittab package(sysvinit) with default settings and check how watchdog starts. And check that you have not duplicated records in /etc/inittab

Attachments

• wd-fix.zip
    464 bytes · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hi IgorG,

That seems to have fixed it. Thank you so much.

Back