• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Can't subscribe IMAP folders in Thunderbird

jlorquin

New Pleskian
Hello there,

I created my first email account for a subscription in plesk onyx #68. I'm using dovecot and postfix.

When I configure the account in Thunderbird I only get the inbox folder. When trying to subscribe to the usual spam, sent, etc folders the list is empty.

I checked the dovecot .conf file and it already contains:

# Default private namespace setup compatible with Courier-IMAP.

namespace inbox {
separator = .
prefix = INBOX.
inbox = yes

mailbox Sent {
auto = subscribe # autocreate and autosubscribe the Sent mailbox
special_use = \Sent
}
mailbox Spam {
auto = create # autocreate Spam, but don't autosubscribe
special_use = \Junk
}
mailbox Drafts {
auto = create
special_use = \Drafts
}
mailbox Trash {
auto = create
special_use = \Trash
}
}

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

@jlorquin

I am pretty sure that you are running into something related to Thunderbird - as a mail client, it can be a quite annoying one in terms of setup.

I suggest that you first go to the Account settings, under synchronization > advanced and check there whether you can include the missing folders.

Hope the above will help a (tiny) bit.

Kind regards.........

When I configure the account in Thunderbird I only get the inbox folder. When trying to subscribe to the usual spam, sent, etc folders the list is empty.

Do you see the folders in Roundcube?
I know that for Outlook to work properly, the folders have to be created by logging into roundcube webmail once before setting up the account in Outlook, but I thought Thunderbird was handling things better than that.

mfG mow

Well I honestly don't know what happened. Came back today to check the responses and magically the folders are there when I went to follow your instructions guys... computers am I right?

Thanks!

Well I honestly don't know what happened. Came back today to check the responses and magically the folders are there when I went to follow your instructions guys... computers am I right?

Thanks!

@jlorquin

Or........ "Thunderbird am I right? "

You should know that Thunderbird is a very odd mail client - from time to time it really is the best (regular) one ........ and every now and then it is the worst (regular) one.

Thunderbird can be a bit buggy from time to time - it is guarantee that you will encounter (mostly minor) issues in the near future when using Thunderbird.

However, the above also applies to a mail client like Outlook - but the probability of the occurrence of (mostly minor) issues is a bit lower, compared to Thunderbird.

It is a shame though, I personally quite like Thunderbird - and used it in combination with Outlook.

Nowadays, I do not use Thunderbird or Outlook at all : just rerouting all mail through O365 - with the associated advantage of having more security features.

Anyway, it is all about personal preference with respect to a mail client.

In essence, most mail clients are buggy to some extent (read: I am not explaining all of the bugs and issues, that would take ages) - if you prefer Thunderbird, use it !

Kind regards.........

Back