• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Catch All Mail for a domain

R

rknevitt

Hey Guys,

I want to setup a backup mail server, that recieves all the mail for a domain, stores it, then forwards it on to another mail server running MDaemon.

Just as a front end mail server, i want to host multiple domains on this server and dont require individual mail boxes for the domains.

Cheers
Rob

There are numerous easy ways to do this. If you have another server running Qmail, you do not have to do more than modify a couple of /var/qmail/control files to accomplish.

/var/qmail/control/smtproutes
-add (one per line) the domains to be stored and forwarded, IP address, smtp port (each item separated by a colon)

/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
or
/var/qmail/control/morercpthosts
-I prefer to use the morercpthosts file so I can keep the store-and-forward domains separate from the normal local hosted domains
-put each domain on a separate line

It's that easy. This server does NOT have to have Plesk on it, it can just be the Linux OS and Qmail on an old low powered box. These backup MX domains do NOT have to be created in Plesk, nor in Linux/apache. Since it has only to do with email, Qmail is the only thing which needs to know that (1) It should receive the domain's email (rcpthost/morercpthost), and (2) Where to forward the emails to (smtproutes). You do NOT create mailboxes, Maildirs, or anything else!

I would also put clamav and spamassassin, then yum install qmail-scanner from ARTs repository.

Another alternative would be ARTs Project Gamera, which would do the store and forward as well as AV and SA scanning. See atomicrocketturtle.com

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated.

I dont have another qmail server yet.. im simply looking to use this Qmail server as a Front end mail server.

All the mail destined for the domain xyz.com will hit this server first, and then the server would relay it to my Mdaemon server where the mail accounts reside for xyz.com

I would also like this qmail server to store mail in the event of the Mdaemon server being down.

And could the ques be viewed?

Is this possible as well, from what youve suggested?

Or should i be looking at installing another mail program?

Thanks again
Rob

You can do as I posted to this server. I was just not sure what servers you had available.

This Plesk server can be used to store and forward as I described. It will store and forward the Mdaemon's email once the Qmail files are modified as I described.

To view the queue stats, you can use /var/qmail/bin/qmail-stat, or install the qmHandle utility.

The Mdaemon domain's email will not be kept in mailboxes/Maildir's on 'this' Plesk server, normally they will be passed on to the Mdaemon server right away. If the Mdaemon server is 'down', then the email will be stored in the remote queue until it can be delivered to the 'other' server.

In general, I would recommend not to install another mail program onto the Plesk server. Unless you are positive that it will be self-contained and not affect Plesk in any way. Why create potential problems if you don't have to?

Setting this up with Qmail is quite simple as I described.

hey,

i dont seem to have a /var/qmail/control/smtproutes file.

All i have in the control direcotry is:

clientcert.pem locals rejectnonexist smtpplugins
dh1024.pem me rsa512.pem virtualdomains
dh512.pem rcpthosts servercert.pem

Rob

Ignore me, problem solved.. created the file.. put my mdaemon smtp server in there...works a charm.

Could be faster but never mind :)

Rob

Back