• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Centos-5 recommended setup

CruzMark

Regular Pleskian
Hey all,

I've been running Plesk on FreeBSD systems for several years now, but am looking into switching new boxes over to Centos-5.

Can anyone give me some recommendations for how to set the disk geometry on said box? I'm not sure where Plesk drops files on Linux. One big partition? Several partitions? If so, recommended sizes?

These boxes generally run a /24 block and have a couple of hundred client accounts on them.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Mark

CruzMark,

There are no specific recommendation for Linux partition for Plesk. I think that it may be common Linux solutions for better performance. I suppose that it would be better if you place vhosts on separate partition. Place for vhosts is defined here:

[root@plesk902 /]# cat /etc/psa/psa.conf | grep HTTPD_VHOSTS_D
HTTPD_VHOSTS_D /var/www/vhosts

Multiple partitions on the same physical disk wouldn't really give you a performance increase. In fact it could even be (slightly) less efficient, depending on where it was.

I would recommend:

partition 1: /boot, 256M (reason: Some older bios's can have issues with /boot being over 1024 cylinders. Some file systems like ext4 are not supported by grub, its a more reliable RAID-0 configuration, etc)

partition 2: swap, x2 of ram is a good rule of thumb. (reason: keep swap close to the faster part of the disk. The physical distance the disk has to go to seek a sector is shorter here)

partition 3: /, everything else. (reason: more efficient use of space, and less work to do in the long run)

Would you recommend going with LVM, or not?

The machine actually has one 146GB disk and one 350GB disk. I was going to use the big disk for customer data, mounting it as /var, I guess.

Back