• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

CentOS yum update

oliverweidel

New Pleskian
Hello,

Im searching for some hours now but I still got no answer for my question. In the past I read on an official odin page, that yum update/upgrade is recommendet to keep the base linux updated - but unfortunately I cannot find this page anymore. So this is the question:

Do you update your base Linux or do you install just the Plesk updates? If you update your linux via yum/apt-get, do you exclude some modules/packages?

If there is already a thread, thanks for the hint.

Im using CentOS 7.1.1503 and there are many updates available. In the past I've received some errors in Plesk when I've updated the base OS ("yum update/upgrade" or "apt-get update/upgrade"). This was caused through overwritten config files (Apache/MySQL) etc.

So the question is: Do you update everyting or specific packages only?

Last edited:
It is advisable to keep your system up-to-date, however there are a few packages that conflict with Plesk (when upgraded). From the top of my head, these are the chrooted bind package and kernel packages, perhaps a few more.

They can be excluded in /etc/yum.conf

Back