1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Central DNS trouble, records are never deleted

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.1 Troubleshooting Issues' started by loopback-martin, Jan 16, 2007.

1. loopback-martin

loopback-martin Guest

I just noticed that records are never deleted on the central dns server! If I add a record to a domain located on one of our plesk servers, example: 'test.testdomain.com', the record is added succesfully on both dns servers. But when I remove it it stays in the zone file on the central dns servers.

In the webgui on both the plesk server and expand server the record is deleted. It is also deleted on the plesk servers local zone file.

We are running our plesk server in "hidden master" mode and our central dns in "master mode", with our second central dns server as slave. I can successfully add and remove domains, it's just that records aren't removed.

The errors I can see is when I start expand:
    ------
    Jan 16 2007 16:12:32 [:32205] INFO: Loading schemas from directory '/usr/local/expand/share'
    Jan 16 2007 16:12:32 [:32205] WARNING: The file 'locale.xml' is not an XSD schema, therefore it was skipped.
    Jan 16 2007 16:12:32 [:32205] WARNING: The file 'locale_addon.xml.sample' is not an XSD schema, therefore it was skipped.
    Jan 16 2007 16:12:32 [:32205] WARNING: The file 'common_transform.xslt' is not an XSD schema, therefore it was skipped.
    Jan 16 2007 16:12:32 [:32205] WARNING: The file 'locale_addon_merge.xslt' is not an XSD schema, therefore it was skipped.
    Jan 16 2007 16:12:32 [:32205] WARNING: The file 'locale_to_php_ctxt.xslt' is not an XSD schema, therefore it was skipped.
    Jan 16 2007 16:12:32 [:32205] WARNING: The file 'locale_to_php_msg.xslt' is not an XSD schema, therefore it was skipped.
    -----

And when the dnscontroller application receives the update for the zone, then it tries to add all records again but I can't see that it tries to remove a single record.

---
    Jan 16 2007 16:42:25 dnscontroller[:15916] DEBUG: Adding record: 'webmail.testdomain.com. A xx.xx.xx.xx'.
    Jan 16 2007 16:42:25 dnscontroller[:15916] DEBUG: Process record: 'webmail.testdomain.com. A xx.xx.xx.xx'.
    Jan 16 2007 16:42:25 dnscontroller[:15916] WARNING: [DNS Controller] Can't operate DNS record. Resource record "webmail.testdomain.com." already exists.
    ---

Any ideas?

Expand 2.1.0 and DNS controller version 2.0.0-16.

Thanks for your help!
    /Martin

2. loopback-martin

loopback-martin Guest

I just switched modes on the DNS Servers to:

Plesk DNS: Hidden master
    (Central) DNS's: Slave

And it seems to work fine. Records are added/deleted properly and entire zones are also managed.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

/M

3. Sergey L

Sergey L Golden Pleskian Staff Member

43%
    Unfortunately it looks like there is a problem in Plesk Expand. It is being researched right now to find and deliver a fix.

When you switched your DNS server to slave, you've worked the problem around. Now DNS server takes list of DNS records directly from Plesk server where records are correctly removed.

So if anyone experiences the same problem, he shall use Martin's recipe.

Thank you Martin for very good problem report and for the solution found.

4. loopback-martin

loopback-martin Guest

Right, lucky that it wasn't something I'd done wrong at least!

Do you have any ETA when this patch/2.1.1 will be released? Are there more changes planned ?

Thanks.
    /M

5. Sergey L

43%
    ETA for patch is 31 Jan 2007.
    We shall ensure that there are no other problems like that one.

6. PMNet

PMNet Guest

Hi there!

at this moment, there is no patch availlable.
    what is the next eta for patch 2.1.1?

thanks in advance!

7. Sergey L

43%
    I believe you can see it published tomorrow.

Many users claimed on Expand performance so we delayed release for 2 days to include performance improvements there.