• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Certificate, php > 5.6 and SMTP problem

Simpleweb

New Pleskian
Hello to all,
i have a site using joomla 3.7.4 on my server and i have set all stuffs for SMTP email. I have protected both mail, server and sites with let's encrypt certificate. All is ok and fully working.

I have only important bug which i want to fix: Now i'm using php version 7.0.21 but when i try to send an email through site i have smtp error. The only way to fix is to add this code to the beginning of the function useSmtp() in joomla:

PHP:
  // 20160729 workaround for certificate verification failure - ref. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting
    $this->SMTPOptions = array(
    'ssl' => array(
      'verify_peer' => false,
      'verify_peer_name' => false,
      'allow_self_signed' => true
    )
   );
    // 20160729 end

I have found this workaround here:Gmail as SMTP server in Joomla 3.6.0

So at every upgrade of joomla i have to add this piece of code to make email system working on site.

Any idea for a definite fix server side?

Thanks in advance.

I would like to add that this is not a Joomla related issue. We have seen the same on a custom PHP SMTP auth script on two non-Plesk servers and where not able to solve it yet. We believe that a wrong cipher suite or a wrong certificate is used for the connection by the SMTP server, but again, the final solution has not been discovered yet.

Back