• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue CGI Programs don't work

davorg

Basic Pleskian
Last year I raised an issue on the Plesk 12 board because CGI programs weren't working on some of my domains - Incorrect cgi-bin configuration. I got a few replies, but nothing fixed the problem and eventually other things became more important to me.

Since then I've upgraded my system to Plesk 17.0.17 and I still have the problem. I returned to investigating this today. And I've found this article - CGI feature is disabled by design if an application is installed in www-root.

This, of course, explains all of my problems. My sites are run using Wordpress - and that is installed in the web root. But many sites have other sections which require CGI programs running in the cgi-bin.

I know that running Wordpress alongside CGI programs works correctly. I have done it for many years. So I need to know how I can work around this seemingly pointless restriction.

Oh, and I've just seen that KB article claims to apply to Plesk 10.x and 11.x. Is that correct? Or does it still apply to all newer versions of Plesk?

Thanks,

Dave...

I've found a workaround that seems to work for this.

In the conf/siteapp.d directory, I have created a file called "cgi.conf" which just contains the missing cgi-bin configuration line.

ScriptAlias "/cgi-bin/" "/var/www/vhosts/[my domain name]/cgi-bin/"

Seems to be working so far. Can anyone suggest why I shouldn't do this for all of my affected domains?

And I'd still like to know why this restriction is in place.

Back