• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Change vhost dir [ /var/www/vhosts ]

BrinsleyP

Regular Pleskian
Hello to every... i have two situations
  1. how to set in new server instalation to vhost change to /home and not in /var/www/vhosts
  2. in a servers runs how to change and move vhosts to /home
So, its possible ?

It's recipe for disaster to change configs and paths that are used for programs.
If I want, for instance, another program to listen to port 25 I will not change the port of postfix, but will use iptables to snatch port 25 and redirect to another port.
This to avoid clashes in the future.

The /home folder is a special folder for Linux users
You could copy the content of the current /home folder to /var/www/vhosts and then mount /var/www/vhosts on /home ( use /etc/fstab to make that stick)

You would see all the folders in /home and Plesk can still get them in /var/www/vhosts

What reason do you have to do so?

It's recipe for disaster to change configs and paths that are used for programs.
If I want, for instance, another program to listen to port 25 I will not change the port of postfix, but will use iptables to snatch port 25 and redirect to another port.
This to avoid clashes in the future.

The /home folder is a special folder for Linux users
You could copy the content of the current /home folder to /var/www/vhosts and then mount /var/www/vhosts on /home ( use /etc/fstab to make that stick)

What reason do you have to do so?

The reason is,

If i take a new server with

1 SSD 256GB
1 HD 2TB
1 HD 2TB

I think its better set the all system in to SSD, and point the vhosts (webpages and user files) in the next HD#1 and user the second HD to backup

Command

# plesk bin transvhosts.pl --help

will help you.

The reason is,

If i take a new server with

1 SSD 256GB
1 HD 2TB
1 HD 2TB

I think its better set the all system in to SSD, and point the vhosts (webpages and user files) in the next HD#1 and user the second HD to backup
I would put the 2 2TB in RAID 1 and use an external server as back-up.

I was not aware of a special program to change the location of the vhosts folder.
I guess that moving is supported by Plesk.
But why move to /home ???
That's a special folder as well...
You could create a /vhosts which would come on the SSD and move it there with the command @IgorG suggested.
The /home folder would then stay clean and only have folders for users you create for the Linux system. I have several....

With mount you can control all the locations without the program knowing anything about it.
I had a similar system where I wanted to speed things up by moving the SQL database to the SSD. I used mount in /etc/fstab for that.

I would put the 2 2TB in RAID 1 and use an external server as back-up.

I was not aware of a special program to change the location of the vhosts folder.
I guess that moving is supported by Plesk.
But why move to /home ???
That's a special folder as well...
You could create a /vhosts which would come on the SSD and move it there with the command @IgorG suggested.
The /home folder would then stay clean and only have folders for users you create for the Linux system. I have several....

With mount you can control all the locations without the program knowing anything about it.
I had a similar system where I wanted to speed things up by moving the SQL database to the SSD. I used mount in /etc/fstab for that.

im apreciate the aswer but think with me...

SSD its more fast on HD i know but.

if transfer the www data to HD like a /data or /home or /vhosts i have a first and runs websites data
and with the copy maked in another disk i have a backup

So

if system corrupt, just reinstall, ig #1 hd crash just replace and restore backup and if backup disk crash just replace and continue work fine.

i like raid 1 but its more expend time to make work again and

Back