• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

changes to domain name

T

tuberb

I have a domain name set up with physical hosting on my VPS. I want to rename that domain (without losing anything in the host) and then set up the original domain name as an alias for another domain that also has physical hosting in the same VPS.

Is there a way to do that without losing anything, and without there being a lag in how the domain names resolve?

(One specific question: if I update the domain name in the "name" field of the "domains" table in the "psa" database, and then adjust the DNS records, will that get me there, or will that create trouble?)

Thanks,

Barry

Test this before you do it but this is what I think you should do....

You can simply rename the domain in the domain administrator section for the client in plesk. That does everything for you -- it renames the domain, changes all the DNS and adds the domain in qmail so on. Then add the original domain as an alias to the other domain.

As long as all three domains (original domain, new name for original domain and the domains that you are adding the original domain to as an alias) are hosted on the same IP address you should not have any issues with DNS propagation. All the records will point to the same IPs so apache/qmail etc will handle it locally. At least that's what I assume would happen.

Faris.

Back