• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue changing e-mail will result in ch_admin_email: Cannot change admin email for web server.

Caspar

New Pleskian
Hi all,

I have not found any answer which will resolve this issue, so I'm posting the issue I have here.

The issue I have is that when changing the e-mail address for the administrator I get an error as followed:
Code:
ch_admin_email: /opt/psa/admin/sbin/httpdmng execution failed:
[2017-02-23 15:55:33] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/opt/psa/admin/bin/nginx_control' '--restart'] with exit code [255]
Can not reload proxy server: Service /etc/init.d/nginx failed to restart

ch_admin_email: Cannot change admin email for web server.

NGINX is running, and I don't have any other problems with NGINX.
I have looked at the support KB: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214027889-Unable-to-set-Administrator-s-email
This one is partly showing the same problem, but the solution is adjusting the port for apache. I have looked through the apache configuration, and have not found any bindings on port 443.

if I do a netstat I get the folowing information:
Code:
netstat -nltp | grep apache
tcp6       0      0 :::7080                 :::*                    LISTEN      1473/apache2
tcp6       0      0 :::7081                 :::*                    LISTEN      1473/apache2

netstat -nltp | grep nginx
tcp        0      0 <IP>:80          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      18679/nginx
tcp        0      0 <IP>:443         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      18679/nginx

The question is: how can I change the admin e-mail address everywhere, or which files can I adjust manually to update the e-mail send to the administrator account.

System information:
Code:
Product version: 12.5.30 Update #60
    Update date: 2017/02/20 06:25
     Build date: 2016/06/08 09:00
     OS version: Ubuntu 14.04
       Revision: 344620
   Architecture: 64-bit
Wrapper version: 1.2

Edit:
I tried to run the command manually as root, but I have the same results then.

Running the command:
Code:
plesk repair all -n
did not find any issues other then "there are files or directories with suspicios permissions", which is correct since certain files were placed there and adjusted.

Last edited:
Try to disable nginx with

# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -d

then change email and enable nginx with

# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -e

Looks like it worked like a charm, will update if it if it has changed the e-mail address properly.

Thanks!

Ok, I didn't have a error, but it didn't update the settings correctly for some reason. Would it be possible to manually edit the files and change the e-mail address. That way I can make sure that every configuration file is now properly configured. If you have a list on where I need to check the e-mail address that would be great!

Edit:
Note, in the settings the e-mail address was already changed to the new e-mail address. so that's why I also run the command with the new e-mail address both.
This is what I ran:
Code:
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -d
service nginx stop
service apache2 restart
/opt/psa/admin/bin/ch_admin_email 'change' 'new-mailaddress' 'new-mailaddress'
/opt/psa/admin/bin/ch_admin_email 'change' 'original-mailaddress' 'new-mailaddress'
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -e

after this I verified that I had no errors with the ch_admin_email command. and verified that nginx was running again.

Code:
netstat -nltp | grep nginx
tcp        0      0 10.15.0.191:80          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      45111/nginx
tcp        0      0 10.15.0.191:443         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      45111/nginx

netstat -nltp | grep apache
tcp6       0      0 :::7080                 :::*                    LISTEN      45086/apache2
tcp6       0      0 :::7081                 :::*                    LISTEN      45086/apache2

Last edited:
Sorry for the re-post, but is anyone able to give me pointers where to update all the files / databases?

Try to change admin_email in misc table manually.

Hi IgorG,

I only now had the time to see if the e-mail address was correct. and before changing anything I noticed that the e-mail address in admin_email is already the new e-mail address. Is there any other place where it might be put for it to report things like CPU usage or anything in the like?

Thanks in advance!

Again sorry for the double post, but does anyone else have a answer for me, so I can change the recieving e-mail address?

Back