• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Changing PHP versions briefly stops Apache

lukebrenner

New Pleskian
Hi there,
I saw that PHP 7.4 is available and started changing version for a couple of domains, when I noticed that after each change, Apache stops for about 15-20 seconds. Is this normal ? Same thing happens when I modify apache directives and click OK or Apply. Apache stops for about the same amount of seconds.
Thanks

Hi there,
I saw that PHP 7.4 is available and started changing version for a couple of domains, when I noticed that after each change, Apache stops for about 15-20 seconds. Is this normal ? Same thing happens when I modify apache directives and click OK or Apply. Apache stops for about the same amount of seconds.
Thanks

Restart apache is normal to take the change, that not so normal, is an so slow restart, you must check why you server need so long time to do it.

This is a brand new configured VPS, with lots of RAM and CPU resources, the whole container was configured from scratch then a migration was performed from the old to this new one.
As to the normality of the fact that an apache restart is mandatory, I'm really wondering if that makes sense ... suppose you have a server running Plesk with 500 domains. You change for 1 ( one !!!!!) domain a php version and the apache service as a WHOLE is stopped/started on the whole server, meaning for a very brief period of time, none of the 500 domains are available. Just raises some concerns ...

This is a brand new configured VPS, with lots of RAM and CPU resources, the whole container was configured from scratch then a migration was performed from the old to this new one.
As to the normality of the fact that an apache restart is mandatory, I'm really wondering if that makes sense ... suppose you have a server running Plesk with 500 domains. You change for 1 ( one !!!!!) domain a php version and the apache service as a WHOLE is stopped/started on the whole server, meaning for a very brief period of time, none of the 500 domains are available. Just raises some concerns ...

There is no way to change php version of... one domain, without an restart/reload apache, it's not an plesk problem again but the apache web server normal work, in fact, for this problem, plesk permit put an time to restart apache and take all domain change if there is few in small time.. have only one restart and not one restart to every change :

https://server:8443/admin/server/optimization-settings => Apache restart interval (seconds)
Also with "Apache graceful restart" we never have any issue with it... with server with one domain and server with more than 700 domains...

Back