• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Clone Wordpress Site - Only Home page accessible

RodStr

Basic Pleskian
Created a staging site for one of my domains, the clone process of the Wordpress Toolkit ran through to completion without any errors.

But, I can only access the main page of my staging site.
Any of the page links do not open up their respective pages in the staging site.

Anybody run into this? Solution?

We are on Plesk 17.0.17 u51 running on Windows server 2008R2

Thanks in advance!

Rod

Not sure exactly WHY this fixes the issue, but it did...

I loaded up the Twenty Sixteen theme onto the staging site and Activated it.
Then went back and activated the Enfold theme the client is using.
All of a sudden all the "missing" pages appeared.

I guess we are resolved... just don't understand why.

Rod

It could be an issue with direct links between pages. Could you please clarify, how exactly links did not work? It means 404 errors occurred, or links from the staging follow to the original site?

I thought this was resolved, but just ran into the same issue today (on the same site).
Clone to staging site subdomain, home page works just fine,
any other page linked off the main menu returns a 404 page.

Cannot browse directly to those pages either.

Tried the method that worked last time of loading a different theme, activating it, then switching back and activating the old theme.
No go this time.

I can send detailed example but rather not post the actual site name(s) in a public fashion.

One thing I see as odd, is if I edit the pages I cannot get to directly through the browser (can't get to from outside the WP Admin environment)... I CAN find and edit the pages in the WP Admin. Just seems the cloned site configuration somehow cannot locate them. Making a change and updating the page, does not fix this either. Preview from inside the pages doesn't find it either.

Rod

Last edited:
So... did the upgrade to WP 5.1 on the staging site... now it works.
Again... I don't get it.

The production site is on 5.0.3, (which is what I cloned from).
But I had to install 5.1 for it to work on the staging site.

Rod

After going around and around on this issue yet again, I think I have a definitive answer.
If you clone a WP site that has its Permalinks structure set to "post name"
"something" is not properly updated in the paths in the database in the resulting clone.

Simply setting the permalinks to PLAIN (and SAVE), then returning them to "Post name" (and SAVE)
and all works just peachie.

Have torn down the clone multiple times now, and recreated it (each time the menu pages were dead)... did the above and all is well.

Hopefully the last post in this thread, and hopefully it saves someone else days of headaches.

Rod

Back