• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Cloning a full Server

VirtualCed

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I'm using Plesk Onyx on Ubuntu 16.04 with around 150 domains hosted
I want to migrate to a new server.
Same hardware, but bigger hard drive.
The two servers are in the datacenter but I only have ssh access to them.
There is a really fast connection between them.

I want to move everything I have on the server A to server B
I'd like to avoid to make a fresh install of plesk on server B then Import site by site.

Isn't a way to make a rsync from server A to Server B, then on server B globally change the IP address in all dns records and in other config files ?

Best regards
cEd

I don't understand what is the problem to install Plesk on server И and use Plesk Migration Manager for correct migration.
But as a possible solution, you can use some third-party for creating a dump of server A disk and then restore this dump on server B disk.

Cloning the full server is not an easy task. It requires the new server and the old server both to boot from a Linux that is not the one on the servers itself. Then you need to create the same partitions on the new server that you have on the old server. They can be bigger than on the old server, but not smaller, and they must have basically the same parameters. Then create the file systems in these new partitions that exist on the old server, e.g. use the same file system like ext3 or ext4 for the same new partitions where you want to copy the old server to. Once that is done, you need to mount the file systems to the proper directories, and then you can rsync the content. But that is still not the end of it. After rsyncing you need to edit the network configuration of the new server to match your new IP address and the /etc/fstab to match the new server's disk IDs (else that one won't boot, because it is expecting different disks). Also edit /etc/hosts, because the new server will have a different IP. Then you can try to reboot the new server. However, in Plesk you will then - given the unlikely event that the server boots correctly - still have the old IP configurations.

I'd certainly not go this way. It has many risks and difficulties. It is much easier to set-up a new server from scratch and restore a full Plesk backup (migrate respectively).

I read your answers with a lot of interest. Thanks for this @Peter Debik and @IgorG
If I make a simple install of Plesk and transfert a backup of the server without the customers. Will it make the new server with all the same settings, same extensions as the first one ?And then use Plesk Migrator to move the customers ?
Is it correct ?

You need to install the extensions manually. They will not be installed by the full restore. Besides that: Yes, use Plesk migrator (or a restore from the FTP backup repository).

I have a question concerning this topic.
I am just thinking about moving a plesk installation to another server. After installing the os and setting up plesk: Can I migrate the server settings like apache / mailserversettings etc. via plesk migrator?

I am a little afraid, because all the little config tune-ups that have been done over the years will be gone.

Thanks.

I have a question concerning this topic.
I am just thinking about moving a plesk installation to another server. After installing the os and setting up plesk: Can I migrate the server settings like apache / mailserversettings etc. via plesk migrator?

I am a little afraid, because all the little config tune-ups that have been done over the years will be gone.

Thanks.

Everything that you set on a domain level under "Apache & Nginx settings" should be migrated. However, the general settings in "Tools & Settings" will not be migrated, have a look here:
What are known limitations of Plesk Migrator Extension?

Also, see this:
Plesk Migration and Transfer Guide

Back