• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

CloudFlare problem with non www domains

Alan_SP

Basic Pleskian
Thing is, when you use partner implementation of CloudFlare, like Plesk does, you can't use non www domains (CloudFlare refers to them as naked domains). You only could have CloudFlare on www.domain.com.

This is problem that exists for years now and probably wouldn't be solved.

To use CloudFlare and non www domain, you need to add domain directly with CloudFlare like regular CloudFlare user, bypassing CloudFlare Plesk extension completely (although, you still use second part, StopTheHacker).

It would be good to put some text in that direction in extension description. It took me a while to discover that fact, when I noticed that there's no CloudFlare caching of my website. Having information upfront would be useful in speeding up the process.

Also, you link page where CloudFlare states that: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/e...-I-use-a-naked-domain-no-www-with-CloudFlare-

@Alan_SP,

It is not only about "naked domains", CloudFlare extension is also not working if Plesk is not working as a primary nameserver.

Note that StopTheHacker from CloudFlare also does not work, in the case that Plesk is not working as a primary nameserver.

In general, the whole CloudFlare extension is rather useless, since

a) CloudFlare itself has many pitfalls and undesirable disadvantages, with the number of disadvantages even higher than in the case of using CloudFlare directly (and not the extension),

b) the extension itself should not be dependent of Plesk functioning properly as a primary nameserver: the extension code uses the API and a simple API call will allow CloudFlare to set the most important DNS records (at the nameservers of CloudFlare), allowing traffic to pass or bypass CloudFlare and caching of specific requests. However, this does not work.

In short, the CloudFlare extension is flawed.

Just use CloudFlare directly (or rather, do not: the suggested benefits of CloudFlare are not that relevant and most of those alleged benefits are actually disadvantages).

Regards....

Back